poultry prices

• 12 Replies

darren64

poultry prices
« on: September 10, 2011, 20:41 »
What sort of prices should I be expected to pay for pol pullets?and whats the best egg production ones?

rachelr

Re: poultry prices
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 20:54 »
i have Ross lohmans they lay every day and they cot £5.50. They are a hybrid and bred for laying

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:49 »
If your only concern is egg laying a hybrid is by far the best option. 

The price you pay will largely depend on how close to lay they are though the fancier the variety depending on looks or egg colour they are the more expensive.  Common old brown Rangers or Warrens or Lomanns are the cheapest but more fancy colours like Bluebelles cost more as do blue egg layers. 

A so called point of lay Ranger which is around 17 to 21 weeks old will cost the most, expect to pay £15 ish say £12 to £20 depending on how well it has been bred, what variety it is and what vaccinations it has had.  Growers are usually 8 to 14 weeks old typically £5 to £10 and day olds (unsexed) £1 to £2.  Sexed pullets will generally be more expensive.  Some producers have a formular based on age ie £1 per week upto lay. Most hybrids will lay between 19 to 21 weeks but it's dependant on time of year as well.
Truth through science.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:30 »
I picked up 8 POL hybrids yesterday  (3xBluebelle, 3xBlackrock and 2xWhitestar) and I paid £9.90 each. The breeder I use also sells Warrens for £6.90 each.

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54 »
I picked up 8 POL hybrids yesterday  (3xBluebelle, 3xBlackrock and 2xWhitestar) and I paid £9.90 each. The breeder I use also sells Warrens for £6.90 each.

Hi Helenaj,

What age were they and did they come with a comprehensive list of vaccinations?

You can always find small local breeders who have lower overheads or stock of lower quality breeding at lower cost.  Personally I'd put a reasonable premium on ensuring you get the best quality stock.  One vets bill will wipe out the cost saving of buying dubious stock cheaply from auctions etc though I'm not suggesting your breeder isn't anything other than a responsible producer.  There's also lots of small enthusiast breeders who produce good quality stock who have lower overheads and charge less too.  Reputation is everything in a breeder.
HF

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 15:27 »
They are fully vaccinated - I've bought many from this breeder before and he supplies our local Countrywide store with pullets as well (only they charge twice his prices). I can honestly say I've never had any trouble with any hen that I've bought from them.

Two of the Bluebelles have just come into lay and all three Blackrocks are laying. The Whitestars have a few weeks to go yet as they are only 17 weeks old.

I swapped to this gentleman after he was recommended to me. The breeder I was using before very kindly sold me two hens with Mycoplasma and being new I knew no better and since then have had a running battle with it. Needless to say, I could prove nothing against the breeder I had them from and put it down to experience - you live and learn the hard way

My new supplier (Poultrymill in Pencoed) is very reputable and the owner Steve invites everyone to come and have a look at his premises, which I have to say are spotless - I'd recommend them to anyone.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 16:06 »
Here in Surrey, POL hybrids are around £12 - £15, fully vaccinated and from good breeders. I paid £12.50 for POL ISA Browns, and £14 for POL Sussex and Speckeldy.

Interesting how prices vary around the country though!

Maidenhead Red

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 17:44 »
I would be happy to pay 15 - 20 for POL hybrids, from a reputable breeder fully vaccinated etc.  I brought two new 13wk old birds yesterday a Welsummer and a Cream legbar £18 each, the breeder knew her stuff and the birds were kept in great conditions.  Got to see the parents etc

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 21:22 »
£22 each for a White Star and Speckledy! :ohmy:
Mind you...that was from a "middle man", not direct from a breeder.
And I paid it.....

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 21:35 »
We go to a reputable breeder and pay between £12 and £20 for warrens, bluebells, blackrocks, speckeldys and sussex's.  We know the farm and they supply a lot in the Staffordshire Moorlands etc.  Others buy from auction, but we think it's too risky.
Wales seems to be a bit cheaper (cheeper :tongue2:), but it's drive away, so the cost of travel wipes out any saving... ;)

chickee

• Just guarding . . .
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 21:29 »
Just as a matter of interest, is there any sort of certification available to prove a hen is fully vaccinated and what vaccinations should they have?  I have had ex-bats which I know are fully vaccinated and also POL which I have been told are vaccinated.  I fully believe the person I have bought the hens from and they are lovely healthy birds but nothing in writing.  As I say, just wondering.
Chickee

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 22:04 »
There are a few farms in this area that sell POL 'brown layers' for £5 or £6 each.

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 01:09 »
Just as a matter of interest, is there any sort of certification available to prove a hen is fully vaccinated and what vaccinations should they have?  I have had ex-bats which I know are fully vaccinated and also POL which I have been told are vaccinated.  I fully believe the person I have bought the hens from and they are lovely healthy birds but nothing in writing.  As I say, just wondering.

There's no certification scheme for chx.  Just imagine the problem there would be trying to prove the chicken you are about to buy really is Mrs Fluffy who has been vaccinated against Mareks, Newcastle disease etc etc. , not to mention the cost :ohmy:.  I'm affraid it's down to trust.

Even if a bird has been vaccinated that's not necessarily a good thing.  Not all vaccinations are equal.  It depends on the type of vaccine. 

Live vaccines are quick and cheap but they may leave the bird a carrier though immune.  Not a problem when it's part of a closed community who are also all vaccinated to be immune but not so good if you then take them out of that closed community and put them in a healthy but unvaccinated community.  Which is exactly what happens with many ex batts.  There are other types of vaccines which don't involve live strains but they are less attractive for the commercial farmer as they are usually more expensive and take longer to build immunity.  Try asking your ex batt rehab charity what vaccines the birds you are about to take delivery of have had and see how far you get in getting answers :blink: :blink: :unsure:

The commercial 'all in, all out' vaccinated stock system of husbandry is designed to prevent disease spread between generations and it works but rehoming ex batts breaks the closed system.  Even with hybrids reared for the backyard market you need a knowledgable keeper who understands the issues of vaccination.  I suspect not many do.  Personnally I think if you have any vaccinated stock all your birds need to be vaccinated.  Thats very difficult to achieve if you mix pure breeds obtained from enthusiast breeders with hybrids from commercial growers and ex batts.  Most of the time no doubt you will get away with it but don't assume vaccination is the answer to good health stock.

HF

xx
poultry prices

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:26
by jimroden
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
egg prices

Started by blackbob on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 10:25
by blackbob
xx
Egg Prices

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 19:28
by flatcap

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 31 queries.