Tomato Master

• 21 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Tomato Master
« on: January 19, 2009, 15:07 »
Has anyone got/tried one of these gadgets?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/12165/product/12165

It has mixed customer reviews on the website and these things often look better than they really are.

It would be brilliant if it worked well but £30 seems a lot to be taking a chance. Any comments or recommendations would be most welcome.
Rachael

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Tomato Master
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 15:26 »
Look at  the one from 'Seeds of italy'....works out slightly cheaper @ £31.49 inc pp.

I have used for 5 years now and wouldn't be without it as i made a lot of passata each year. Suppose it depends how much tomato you are actually
going to process whether it's worth it to you or not.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tomato Master
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 15:36 »
I love my Seeds of Italy one too!  Only had it 2 years though, but I do sometimes have 80-100lbs of tomatoes to process through the year!!!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Tomato Master
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 16:10 »
I've just had a look at the Seeds of Italy one and it looks quite similar (although the picture is quite blurry). It sounds as if it would be very versatile eg de-pipping blackberries etc.
Well, I do have a birthday coming up.....   :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Tomato Master
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 16:57 »
So whats the difference between that and wacking it in the blender  :? ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Tomato Master
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 17:23 »
The machines remove the skin and the seeds (which are very acidic) and just leaves 'passata' the same as you can buy in supermarket.

The blender just chops everything up fine but what you get at the end of that tastes completely different. Not unpleasant at all just different.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Tomato Master
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 17:27 »
This device separates pips and skin from the pulp, while a blender would just chop them up together. It depends how fussy you are I suppose.

Poolfield2

Tomato Master
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 17:28 »
Woo hoo another gadget :!:Don't tell Val that I'm being drawn to yet another gadget. I'm still resisting the jam maker so far. I can't be good all my life though.

I reckon this would do the same job as rubbing something through a seive. Would it cope with larger stoned fruits, like damsons? I make loads of fruit cheeses as I don't like pips and seeds.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Tomato Master
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 17:41 »
Don't know about damson stones but it says it will do oranges, so possibly

Trillium

Tomato Master
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 18:50 »
Quote from: "strangerachael"
. It depends how fussy you are I suppose.

For some of people, it's not fussiness. People who suffer Crohns disease are often in a life-death situation with tomato seeds which are undigestible. I don't suffer Crohns, but my innards suffer terribly from tomato seeds so I must filter them all out and these machines do a dandy job. I also find tomato skins less tasty so its nice to get them out as well. Without filtering the seeds I can't eat tomatoes, which is a huge sadness as I love them.

Yabba

Tomato Master
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 19:04 »
Damn, I'm not a tomato eater, but I'm trying to grow / share loads with others, and this sounds like something a tomato eater would like ( mainly the Mighty V *bows* ) ?

... also, my step-mother has crohns, and I'd love to share some of my tomatoes with her

Is it really worth me spending that money on one?

Forgive my ignorance as to the finer points of tomatoes, but I only like them when they're the ( non-majority ) part of a dish :(

¥

Trillium

Tomato Master
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 19:14 »
Personally, I find the machine does a dandy job of essentially pureeing the tomatoes into a nice liquid which I can use for either pasta type dishes or as part of a soup. I then bottle them up in my big pressure canner and they can stay a long time, particularly if the following year's tom harvest isn't great (or in the UK you get blight badly). It gets me through 2 years if necessary.

As for Crohns, not all sufferers have the tomato seed problem. Some are extremely sensitive to cheese but not to tomatoes. You'd have to know your SM's particular sensitivity. I had a friend with Crohns who was extremely 'allergic' to toms and had to double filter his purees but the machine took out 99.9% of the seeds so the 2nd screening was to double check.

Yabba

Tomato Master
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 19:27 »
Thank you :D

¥

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Tomato Master
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 20:25 »
:D  Thanks for the explanation peep's I can see the value of it now.  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Tomato Master
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 00:10 »
Ive got Crohns and can vouch for what Trillium says:-( What seems like a gadget can be a way to eat what you usually cant without buying tins of inferior rubbish, though I do miss eating a whole cherry tom! Up to now Im ok with a lot of things but as I get older Im getting less tolerant of a lot of foods. If I have to give up peas eaten straight from the pod then Im packing it all in and eating only baby jars of chocolate pudding  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
lakeland tomato master

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2009, 22:24
by sclarke624
xx
Val's green tomato jam

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 00:20
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomato soup

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 10:09
by devonbarmygardener
xx
smoky tomato

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2015, 21:47
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 29 queries.