Slow Cooker recipes?

• 25 Replies

Poolfield2

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 18:41 »
Well kezzy the soup will be ready in a couple of hours but I won't be eating it til tomorrow lunchtime. Had a bit of a hicough and I don't know whether I've blown it completely but I didn't read to the end of the recipe :roll: and put the cocnut milk in too soon :shock:  don't know whether it will be ruined, I'll let you know.

Poolfield2

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 21:26 »
That soup is really good and we got away with the coconut milk going in at the beginning by accident. OH enjoyed it and he is very picky about soup so a great success thanks.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 14:40 »
We had brisket of beef yesterday, simply slow-cooked with some chopped carrots, a glug of port and a dash of worcester sauce. I got some fresh rosemary & sage from the garden, chopped it up, added a good pinch of pepper and some salt and then rolled the brisket in the herbs giving it a general coating. I sat the beef on the carrots and cooked on low for seven hours. It was superb!

Next? Somerfield are doing half-price legs of lamb this week, oh yeah!
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

kezlou

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34 »
Glad it turned out well Carol, might try that way myself sounds yunmmier than the original recipe!

Have to try beef in the SC never had it before, thanks :)
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

wighty

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 21:37 »
Mrs B's post has reminded me, don't do sausages in a slow cooker as they turn to sludge and taste like (sits for five minutes to think of and appropriate word) sludge.

Elcie

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 21:55 »
Quote from: "wighty"
Mrs B's post has reminded me, don't do sausages in a slow cooker as they turn to sludge and taste like (sits for five minutes to think of and appropriate word) sludge.

I have used sausages in the slow cooker before and they were absolutely fine.  I browned them under the grill first and it might be this that made the difference?

Just a quick Q - particularly related to the brisket recipe above - can you have a small amount of liquid in the bottom or does it have to cover everything?  I haven't been brave enough to try cooking with only a small amount yet.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29 »
Quote from: "Elcie"
Quote from: "wighty"

I have used sausages in the slow cooker before and they were absolutely fine.  I browned them under the grill first and it might be this that made the difference?

Just a quick Q - particularly related to the brisket recipe above - can you have a small amount of liquid in the bottom or does it have to cover everything?  I haven't been brave enough to try cooking with only a small amount yet.

I only used a small amount of liquid with this, not even enough to cover the veg, it came out perfect.

At home right now I have a joint of pork on slow cook, I chopped up some potato, celery and carrot and put the pork on top. The only liquid I have added is a small glass of white wine and about a quarter of a cup of water.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 22:44 »
Just curious whether you find that the potato ends up quite dry where exposed above the liquid?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 09:01 »
Quote from: "Yorkie1"
Just curious whether you find that the potato ends up quite dry where exposed above the liquid?

Not a problem for me so far.

I have found that by the time the cooking has finished, there's more juice in the bottom of the pot than when the cooker was first switched on. Particularly with pork from a supermarket, it has a high water content, you dont get this with decent organic pork from a butcher.

noshed

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 12:56 »
Chorizo is not great in a slow cooker in my opinion. Seems to be very fatty.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

noshed

Slow Cooker recipes?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 14:47 »
The 3.3L ones are on offer again at Ts - £12-odd

xx
Slow cooker recipes

Started by Mega on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 20:13
by Yorkie
xx
Slow Cooker recipes

Started by clarebear on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 27, 2007, 21:35
by Sally A
xx
Adjusting recipes for slow cooker

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2014, 17:08
by Springlands
xx
Slow cooker gammon recipes

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:28
by Elcie

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.