Re: Disaster
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2009, 21:47 »
ohh thats so sad  :( you did everything you could
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2009, 23:02 »
I've been reading this thread, but not posted on it yet, but I am so sorry to hear about little Hope Rom.

Pleased don't beat yourself up about it.  You did brilliantly, but it just wasn't meant to be.

My old friend sheila used to say to me that all these things really are sent to try us, but its how we handle the situation that makes us stronger people.  And you will come out stronger for this.

Please don't even consider giving up keeping your chooks, as you know I've got a lot more chickens than you have, so pro rata my losses are going to be more than yours, but imagine what it feels like to go into the henhouse one morning to find that something in the night has spooked your young pullets and you find 54 of them lying dead in a corner!!  Then some weeks back I found one of my amberlinks really badly pecked.  She was about 6 weeks old and almost dead.  I cleaned her up the best I could as not only had they pecked all her tail feathers off, but also her vent was badly pecked.  She was in such shock she could hardly eat or drink, so I kept her in one of the brooder boxes, near the others so she could still see them, hand fed her for a while with the yoghurt and chick crumbs in water etc.  Sprayed her entire rear end with UKADEX.

She is now back in with the motley crew, smaller than them and seems to always have a dirty bum, although a lot of it is the UKADEX still on her feathers, but she only has a tiny vent now its got better, so can only do small poos, but she is fine.  Whether she will ever be able to lay eggs is another matter though.....

But I'm still here, still doing my best to give my girls and the occasional boy a good start in life!  Keep your chin up girl!!!!  :) :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2009, 08:15 »
Hi Rom, i just wanted to say im so sorry about little Hope. i believe you did everything you could have done for her, she died in your arms knowing you were fighting for her. I havent been keeping chickens long enugh to give you any advice, but ido know ive learnt some very hard lessons, i was ready to give up as i didnt feel i could keep my girls safe. I was wrong, and people on here helped me see that. Your the same, you do your very best for all your animals, you love them, take care of them, and thats all anyone can do. Keep your chin up, and be proud of yourself for what you did do for her. She died knowing you loved her and you would do what ever it took, its just sh** that sometimes its never gonna be enough. Take care huuny, chin up and be proud of your self for what you did do for her. love 'n' hugs, lizzie x

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2009, 08:51 »
OH TMG!  :( so sorry!  :( i too lost a little girl yesterday  :( i came home from work and it was not so much the fact she had died it was the way she had died that made me cry! she had been pecked to death by the others she must of been in agony bless her heart!  :(! i dont know why but it was only her and my other gold laced wyandotte!? who is now seperated? must be something to do with the feather markings as my 2 barnevelder chicks ended up pecked too, and they have similar markings!?

Rest in peace little hope, and TMG you did all you could!

Debbie x
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03 »
chickenlady, im so sorry for you too!...sending big hugs to you xx

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2009, 09:09 »
Oh debs, I'm sorry to hear that too!  Mind you, when you said she must have died in agony, with all the feather pecked chooks I've had over the past 2 years, if you see it happen as I have, after a little while they seem to shut down their systems and just wait for it to happen.

I know it sounds awful, you'd think they'd turn and fight wouldn't you?  But they don't.  If they fought back, they'd have a better chance.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2009, 09:21 »
Oh no!!!       ((((hugs to both of you))))))

I have had the same problem with the 3 RIR x Warren hens we got on Wednesday. The first 4 we had have been pecking at them and not letting them eat. One of the 3 brown ones was sat on the chair most of the day and the other two had sought refuge in the hen house when I came back up the garden.

Rightly or wrongly I have now separated them as I didn't like  to see one of them looking so depressed. Hubby made a quick secure small house for them last night and we will make a bigger seperate henhouse and run for them between today and tomorrow..

I really can't abide bullying and I have tried to ignore it but it really upsets me

It's weird but the last one introduced  on Thursday which replaced the gold one I had has settled in really well with no bullying at all.  ::) ::)

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2009, 15:13 »
I to have had the upset of losing 2 chicks, been to the vet with one of them this morning, and they put her to sleep.
i took another one with me as well and she/he has breathing problems so now all 11 are on anti bods!!!!!
Vet is not sure why the other 2 have died, as they were all well begining of the week, (vet has said its not Coccidiosis) So another silent killer!!!!!!!!
I am so upset as they were the first 2 chicks i had hatched and was so proud of my self and them.
i can only put it down to inexperience on my part as i did introduce some more chicks that may have been carrying something nasty!!!
Well onwards and upwards, at least the others are now getting treatment, so hopefully no more unexplained deaths.
(By the way where do you get Coxiod from as the vet had never heard of it???? and she keeps chickens her self)
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Foxy

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2009, 16:36 »
Oh TMG! you poor thing you :( You did everything you could and more, hopefully will be able to visit  next week with a few new friends for you ;)

looking forward to giving you a real bear hug! :D

too many girls

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2009, 16:38 »
i bought my from e-bay, i bought a small one and 2 days later bought a big one :D

good old Foxy, just what we need to cheer ourselves up, those rediculous ducks (my dad's words not mine :D) i only work sun, mon, and tues, so i will be available any time after then.............................................

Big Jen

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2009, 19:16 »
Sending big hugs to TMG and Chickenlady. :( :(

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2009, 21:51 »
The one time I bought coxoid Nails was from the local animal and pet supplies shop in Spalding.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2009, 23:10 »
Sorry to post on your thread TMG, :unsure: was just saying I know what you are going through! but thankyou for your kind words everyone!
Debbie

iwantanallotment

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2009, 01:33 »

(By the way where do you get Coxiod from as the vet had never heard of it???? and she keeps chickens her self)

I'm so sorry about your loss, Nails  :(  It could be mycoplasma, but who knows...there are so many illnesses flying about nowadays and so many of us losing our chooks  :(

RE your vet - they said it wasn't coccidiosis but had never heard of Coxoid???  I would be wary of their estimations, clearly they aren't familiar with birds/poultry if they never heard of Coxoid.

As far as I know, Cocci doesn't cause breathing probs, that's more likely to be myco. Cocci is a digestive thingy. If it's breathing probs & myco, you need antibiotics - Baytril or Tylan.
Don't blame yourself Nails, but sometimes we need to do the research ourselves and THEN go to the vets and tell 'em what's up with our chooks and "can you please give xxxx"

I suspect your chicken-keeper vet will be Googling chicken illnesses herself sooner or later   ::)
Chickenlady, I'm so sorry for you too. How heartbreaking  :( They can be so vicious, can't they? The hours I spend in my girls' run, with a bean cane.....and if one starts, they get a swift smack on their tail. But we can't be there ALL the time, refereeing! It's cruel and it hurts, but it's just nature  :(  So sorry for you  :( x

xx
disaster with eggs, but are they ok?

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:18
by joyfull
clip
Disaster Hatch!

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 11:07
by New shoot
xx
Back from holiday to a chicken disaster!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 23:30
by jack russell
xx
Incubator disaster - update - it's hatch day

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 16:50
by wapello

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 29 queries.