Flies

• 82 Replies

Rubellite

Re: Flies
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 22:03 »
The VAPE trap in my picture is chemical free! the liquid is just water with what smells like gravey and sugar!  :tongue2:
Do you make fly pies with your trapped flies then?  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 22:05 »
Currant buns. Mmmmmm  :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 22:09 »
 :tongue2: :tongue2: eewwwww!!! if you look closely at the picture you can see it is full of yukky flies! it has been up a year and it still attracting them!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 22:28 »
I used the red top flytrap last year and it certainly caught loads of flies but I have to say that particularly with a small garden the smell of the trap was pretty rancid. I'm doing all I can to keep things as clean as poss to prevent attracting them in the first place.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Rubellite

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 22:46 »
I used the red top flytrap last year and it certainly caught loads of flies but I have to say that particularly with a small garden the smell of the trap was pretty rancid. I'm doing all I can to keep things as clean as poss to prevent attracting them in the first place.

My girls are a way up the field so the smell is not a problem, but yes, we all know what flies like so keeping the coop and pen clean is priority, especially in a confined area.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 22:54 »
I have never heard/seen/read??  ::) :D doh!! anyone mention Aubiose when reading any of the chickeny chat posts - I used to use it in my Eglu...before I HAD to get rid  ...*sniff...sob*...I found it very pong reducing and hygienic....how come I never see it mentioned?  Too costly...other reasons?  Just curious - as maybe it could help in an area with smell/fly probs?  I'm a TOTAL novice.  It was just a little thought. :)  Mind you.....I was a bit fanatical about cleaning it out so maybe my experience isn't an accurate example of how good it is/isn't..?

waffle...waffle...waffle....sorreee..... ::) I'm going!  I'm going!
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Lady Lottie

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 22:57 »
Currant buns. Mmmmmm  :D
:lol: :lol:....but ewwwwwwwwwww......

poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 23:01 »
Aubiose does get the odd mention LL  :)

It's meant to be good but I know for me, cost is the problem. Like you, I poo pick every day which certainly keeps flies away from the coop. I would imagine if there's a lot fo them, that's the main attraction.  ::)

Ducks are even dirtier.  :ohmy:

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 23:04 »
aubiose is great, like the hemcore too as it is citronella treated so tend to go for that. Bit pricy but lasts me ages (and they're worth it - cue hair flicking smily).

Lady Lottie

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 23:18 »
aubiose is great, like the hemcore too as it is citronella treated so tend to go for that. Bit pricy but lasts me ages (and they're worth it - cue hair flicking smily).

pmp @ "hair flicking smiley" lol lol  ahhh dear....

Yes, I really used to like the smell of it - vee fresh and pleasant indeed - def made poo patrol a less noxious experience.

lol @ your "dirty ducks" PG.  I do love ducks but have heard that if you handle them you must make sure their mucky little butts are facing away from you.....juuuuuuust in case.......ick!

When my chickens (that I no longer have.........feeling very nostalgic tonight...*sniff*... :() first arrived, one of them pooed on me to say hello. :D..on my hand...my sleeve...down my leg... :D  But I've heard duck poo is MUCH worse. :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 23:25 »
Oh yes. It has a smell that lingers for days on clothing or skin. Soap, scrubbing brush, aftershave. Can still smell it.  :D

Rob

on that note. Night.  :)

Lady Lottie

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 23:29 »
 :lol: :lol: 

compostqueen

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 00:02 »
I use Hemcore and Aubiose and they are very good at absorbing wee and its smell.  You have to be pooh picking every day, or every other day bare minimum.  I'm doing it daily since the hot weather has arrived.  Adding a little garlic powder to the food is said to help with the fly problem but hygiene is the key thing.  I go up and down the lawn with my trowel every other day but looks like daily now we're having this hot spell.   

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 07:29 »
I have never heard/seen/read??  ::) :D doh!! anyone mention Aubiose when reading any of the chickeny chat posts -

I use it in my eglu all the time and it is wonderful stuff.

A big bag costs about £7 and lasts me well over a year !

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:40 by Aunt Sally »

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 07:44 »
When I last looked there were only two replies.  Thank you for the advice.
I got the measurements on my run wrong and my girls do have just over a square metre each.  They also spend much of the day free ranging in the garden. 

My new question therefore, is how do I clear up the poo?  I have wood chips in my run and when they poo it's water and a bit of poo.  It's not like it's a pile of dog or cat poo that is easy to pick up.  Ours just sinks into the ground.  Do I dig out the ground?  If so how often?

I clean the coup out completely once a week and change the bedding daily.
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 11:35
by joyfull
xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
xx
flies???

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 13:53
by richyrich7
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.