Just started veg in greenhouse

• 5 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Just started veg in greenhouse
« on: March 19, 2022, 18:25 »
Just got round to making my soil blocks, most of my small seed for veg are in them (see pic). Hoping my success is repeated this year using the blocks. The trays are also on heat mats, but I can't find big enough covers for the tray, cling film maybe? Also got spuds chitting away, which will be planted in the next couple of weeks.
IMG_20220319_170807790.jpg

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Re: Just started veg in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 09:54 »
I've never used soil blocks. They look like they'd dry out quickly. How do you water them? 

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 14:16 »
I've never used soil blocks. They look like they'd dry out quickly. How do you water them? 
Hi, they're not too bad, maybe once or twice a week I dunk the meshed trays which I use for the blocks in a tray of water for about ten minutes, and let them soak it up. Or use a spray bottle, that method has to be carried out more often. It is all dependant on the weather of course.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 18:15 »
Just got round to making my soil blocks, most of my small seed for veg are in them (see pic). Hoping my success is repeated this year using the blocks. The trays are also on heat mats, but I can't find big enough covers for the tray, cling film maybe? Also got spuds chitting away, which will be planted in the next couple of weeks.
I am thinking about giving soil blocks a try currently I sow in small modules and pots. It is said that the air pruning achieved by growing in blocks helps the plants establish when planted out, did you find that to be the case?
One thing I really notice, not related to your post though, is how much bigger the seed potatoes are in the UK compared to France. Seed potatoes down here are generally about 25 to 40 mm in diameter .

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 18:23 »
I must say we haven't used soil blocks for some years now I tend to agree they do dry out quite quickly I'm trying the paper pot method this year but again you have to be a bit careful that the paper doesn't rip

also trying sowings in thumb pots mainly brassicas then when there big enough we pot on in larger pots it seems to be working ok

cc

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 19:07 »
Never heard of soil blocks before. Can I have more information please?
Thanks

clip
Getting Started

Started by Silva on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 06:50
by Silva
xx
Getting Started!

Started by Vickie & Richard on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 16:57
by Vickie & Richard
xx
have you started?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 05, 2022, 19:15
by missmoneypenny
xx
Just getting started

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 23:04
by jmx

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 34 queries.