Getting Started!

• 6 Replies

Vickie & Richard

Getting Started!
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:59 »
We've just decided to use the top part of our garden for veggies.  Now we are only going to be basics like, pots, leeks, onion, salad etc.,.  My question is, where do we start. Should i turn over the soil, prep it with some off my lovely compose and throw in some pots for Christmas?  Or should i just turn it over for now?  Some advice would be good.  This is virgin soil so i'm not sure would it will be like underneath?

compostqueen

Getting Started!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06 »
the best bit is just under the surface so make sure when you skim off the top layer of turf to compost it. You can do that on the heap, in a dalek or just stack it upside down and cover it, where it will rot down

Then you can fork it over, hand pulling weeds as you go, and then incorporate some manure, and homemade compost, sand, leaf mould (I save all my fallen leaves in a chicken wire enclosure on the lotty or you can bag them up with a bit of soil in a black bag with a few holes punched in it). all these materials improve the soil. You have to replenish lost nutrients with regular top dressings of manure and compost which will reward you with good crops.  

You will get some weed regrowth, you always will, but as long as you get the thugs out that's the main thing  :D   This year you have time for winter lettuces, Winter type W Lisbon onions, spinach Bordeaux, kales, caulis and cabbages, onion sets and garlic. So lots of things you can be thinking about for when your bed or beds are clear :D

Vickie & Richard

Getting Started!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:29 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
the best bit is just under the surface so make sure when you skim off the top layer of turf to compost it. You can do that on the heap, in a dalek or just stack it upside down and cover it, where it will rot down

Then you can fork it over, hand pulling weeds as you go, and then incorporate some manure, and homemade compost, sand, leaf mould (I save all my fallen leaves in a chicken wire enclosure on the lotty or you can bag them up with a bit of soil in a black bag with a few holes punched in it). all these materials improve the soil. You have to replenish lost nutrients with regular top dressings of manure and compost which will reward you with good crops.  

You will get some weed regrowth, you always will, but as long as you get the thugs out that's the main thing  :D   This year you have time for winter lettuces, Winter type W Lisbon onions, spinach Bordeaux, kales, caulis and cabbages, onion sets and garlic. So lots of things you can be thinking about for when your bed or beds are clear :D

Thanks for that CQ

Lenmad

Getting Started!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 21:57 »
Quote from: "Vickie & Richard"
Quote from: "compostqueen"

Thanks for that CQ
And thanks from me to CQ

Kate and her Ducks

Getting Started!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:40 »
I made a little raised bed at the bottom of my garden which was pretty easy. Made the raised wall bit first and then turned over the turf and then bunged a load of compost and soil on the top. Didn't fill the raised bit but each year the compost from the garden, grow bags (and the soil when I dug a pond) etc have gone into the bed and are gradually filling it up.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Ice

• muck spreader
Getting Started!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:47 »
Get a soil testing kit from a garden centre and check the ph.  Then ascertain whether your soil is sandy or clay etc.  What direction does it face?  Is it shady or sunny?

Then throw on a load of compost, dig in and plant spuds for Christmas.  Then relax and enjoy it.  Once you start growing veg you just can't stop. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Vickie & Richard

Getting Started!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 16:57 »
Quote from: "Ice"
Get a soil testing kit from a garden centre and check the ph.  Then ascertain whether your soil is sandy or clay etc.  What direction does it face?  Is it shady or sunny?

Then throw on a load of compost, dig in and plant spuds for Christmas.  Then relax and enjoy it.  Once you start growing veg you just can't stop. :lol:

Its quite a shady spot, but we are only wanting to grow pots, onions and leeks.  Trouble is i know wot its like growing your own, so i'm sure next year we will have a few more on the list.

xx
Well I’ve started

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2018, 08:01
by New shoot
xx
help to get started

Started by eco-friendly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 18:22
by Sally A
xx
Getting started

Started by HypnoticMonkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 09:59
by Yorkie
xx
have you started?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 05, 2022, 19:15
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 28 queries.