Overwinterined onions dump?

• 4 Replies

cc

Overwinterined onions dump?
« on: March 23, 2022, 13:29 »
As per the picture they are growing BUT when I press the bulb they are very soft. Some have a liquid coming out.
The winter was very wet and I assume they are knackered?
BIN?
For some reason it's not downloading pictures at the moment. Either way plenty of leaves...tasty at that but bulbs are squishy.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Overwinterined onions dump?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 16:22 »
That sounds like yuk to me I’m afraid. Maybe you can do something with the leaves??
Keep digging

cc

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 16:58 »
That sounds like yuk to me I’m afraid. Maybe you can do something with the leaves??
I think your right about the yuk and doing something with the leaves... other than binning them.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 17:33 »
No problems with this.  The young bulb has used up its energy and produced the leaves. Now it wants to be fed and watered and it will go on to produce a good onion. I have now transplanted winter onions (from seed) and main crop from sets and they all have gone soft. Start off with nitrogen feed and follow it up every 3 weeks.

cc

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 19:01 »
No problems with this.  The young bulb has used up its energy and produced the leaves. Now it wants to be fed and watered and it will go on to produce a good onion. I have now transplanted winter onions (from seed) and main crop from sets and they all have gone soft. Start off with nitrogen feed and follow it up every 3 weeks.
Even though they burst if I pull them up?  must say I thought it odd the leaves were still growing..

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 41 queries.