Sour crop?

• 3 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Sour crop?
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:39 »
Hello all, some advice please...

One of my ex-batts, Queenie, didn't throw herself headlong out of the coop this morning when I opened the door.  She is very lethargic, drinking but not eating, and looking very sorry for herself.

I went out a little while ago to have a good look at her (thought I'd see if she perked up but she didn't).  I picked her up and the first thing I did was go to feel her crop, to see if it would give me any clues what was wrong.  She promptly threw up all over my feet (note to self: wear wellies in chicken run, not flip-flops!).  Watery green smelly stuff (sorry) with bits of grass and seeds in it.

Does this mean that what is wrong with her IS sour crop?  Or can throwing up mean any number of things?  She's still looking a bit hunched up and is drinking lots (taking the taste away?!).

I will get her some yoghurt later but should she really visit the vet?

compostqueen

Re: Sour crop?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:46 »
If you have a look there is another thread running at the mo about sour crop, which I'm involved with, which might give you some more clues to look for. The fact that she emptied her crop all over you might be suggestive of it.

Make sure she has some fresh water as she'll want to freshen up  :D

My girl has been off colour with it for a few days but hopefully seems to be ok now and I didn't have to take her to the vet but was prepared to if she hadn't perked up.  I did have to massage and empty her crop a few times. You have to be very gentle and follow the advice on here about it.  If you are not comfortable with it then get the vet to do it and medication would probably be given too, eg a antifugal treatment.  Keep an eye on her closely and if you're at all worried then head to the vet  :)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 13:24 »
Yes, saw the other thread but just didn't like to hijack it with my question  :unsure:

I was trying to be gentle with her but I'd barely touched her before she just threw up.  I held her upside down for a while, stroking her throat and more came out.  She's now drinking lots.  I will see if she has any yoghurt later and how she is.  If no better, it'll be the vets first thing for her!  Luckily, I have a brilliant vet who's an avian expert so is great with the girls.

Many thanks for your help x

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 16:19 »
Don't hold her upside down for more than 10 seconds.  Do the massage before then, and only very gently as their necks are delicate

My girl is currently having a little mixed corn which she ate readily. I've only given her a little just to see if her crop empties normally as I don't want it filling up with gunk again

Good job you have a good vet to hand. So have I fortunately  :)

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
Sour Crop

Started by SuzyB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 20:54
by SuzyB
xx
sour crop

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 23:06
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.