What have I done wrong

• 9 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
What have I done wrong
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:03 »
My first year at serious attempts to grow anything so it's all trial and error and asking questions. I have grown a few things this year, veg and some flowers starting most of them off in a heated propagator in the conservatory. My tomatoes, which are now in the greenhouse are about five foot tall with two or three trusses on. All of the flowers are tall and spindly with the base of the stem being thinner than the rest of the plant. Basically everything I have grown especially the flowers, which are now planted out are all healthy looking and flowering. But most are lying on the ground instead of being upright and the stem as it comes from the soil is as thin as a sewing needle.
Why have the plants all gone like this. I know it's the way I have grown them, but I don't know what I have done to cause it.

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
What have I done wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:19 »
Heated propagator maybe?

I'm not saying this is the problem, but a lot of posters were reporting problems early in the year with spindly plants. These were caused by either leaving the seeds in there too long, or using it for seeds that really don't need so much heat to germinate. In fact too much can cause poor or no germination.

As soon as the seeds have germinated, they must be taken out of the propagator and given full light, otherwise they will become drawn. Many members will by now be aware of me promoting the benefits of aluminium foil placed behind the seedlings to give increased all round illumination and so producing a sturdier plant.

I have never used a heated propagator and only use a plastic bag as one for seeds such as tomatoes, peppers & cucumbers etc. - plants that will spend their life in the greenhouse. As soon as I can see any growth, they are whipped out of the bag.

For other seeds such as brassicas, leeks, beans etc. no more than an unheated greehouse or cold frame suffices.

Peas, carrots, parsnips etc. are sown direct into the ground.

When planting in their final position you may have got around this problem by planting deeper than the thin bit of stem.

If you think this may not be the problem - we'll think again!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

corndolly

• Experienced Member
What have I done wrong
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13 »
I think you are right there DD , not enough light too can be the cuase.As you say repot deep as poss, tomatoes especially cos there will be lot of weight for the spindly stem to carry when the fruit is developing.

I cover my new sown seeds with a sheet of clear plastic wrapped around the trays and take it off when I see the plants peeping through.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

compostqueen

What have I done wrong
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:37 »
As well as being Queen of Compost I am the princess of spindly tomatoes  :D   I can grow the spindliest honest  :lol:  

Just tried something with mine though as suggested by a bloke on the lotty.  He told me to take my puny toms (outdoors ones) and lay them flat in trenches. I did mine in two long containers, and spread so compo over them just leaving the tops exposed. Apparently I should get them to fruit quicker doing this, plus it saves them getting wrecked by winds :D

I'll let you know if it works  :D   They look fine though

DD.

• Global Moderator
What have I done wrong
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:45 »
I suppose that is essentially the same as digging a very deep hole with just the top left poking out. Saves your back though!

compostqueen

What have I done wrong
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:51 »
I think I got away with less compost too

The burying them up to their necks works well. I do it every year  8)

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
What have I done wrong
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:18 »
DD you are spot on there I think, I have done everything there that I shouldn't have.
Once the seeds germinated, I left them in to grow thinking the heat would be beneficial.
All the brassicas that I planted were left in and died.
Next year will be totally different, I have learned so much in the few weeks I have been a member of this forum.
When I started I didn't have a greenhouse, but I have built myself a wooden 15' x 14' greenhouse now which is now growing my toms, peppers, chillies and melons and although they are spindly, are healthy and producing flowers.
Typical male I think, only read the manual if you can't get it to work.

Thank you.

Dave.

DD.

• Global Moderator
What have I done wrong
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:34 »
Quote from: "robbodaveuk"

Typical male I think, only read the manual if you can't get it to work.

Thank you.

Dave.

Mrs. DD. is nodding in agreement! :lol:

lincspoacher

What have I done wrong
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 13:53 »
instruction manuals are for wimps :tongue2:

gobs

What have I done wrong
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 20:14 »
Damping off is one of the commonest reasons for thin base of stem near the ground, caused by several moulds, fungi like things, overwatering is often blamed in the gh as it provides ideal conditions for spread, but usually it will be introduced with water, soil and contaminated tools, these pathogenes are present in ordinary garden soil, it's not just a gh condition.

Avoid too wet, never water the plant but the soil and keep separaate tools, etc for gh and outdoor use.

Other things can cause thin stem but would look distinctly diseased.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl
clip
What is wrong with my PSB

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2022, 17:43
by Grubbypaws
xx
its gone wrong

Started by marvbull on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 06:19
by allotmentann
xx
Have I done very wrong

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 08:38
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 37 queries.