Have I done very wrong

• 10 Replies

Grubbypaws

Have I done very wrong
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:33 »
I have just planted 20 bags with seed potatoes.

A friend had given me a box of Vitax organic potato food so I sprinkled a bit in the bottom of each hole , mixed it a bit and popped the seed potato in. I should have read the instructions first but you know how it is when you are all enthusiastic!  Now I read that 'it is vital to keep commercial the seed potatoes away from fertilizer as it will burn tender new roots'  :(

Am I doomed?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Have I done very wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:44 »
A few years ago I set back all my GH tomatoes for at least a month by stupidly adding fertiliser to the planters in a single layer rather than mixing it in well, although it was Growmore I was using, which being inorganic is probably a more concentrated and potentially damaging product than Vitax when misused in that way.

Could you fish out the spuds from each bag, give the compost a good stir (concentrating on mixing in the area you added the fertiliser to) and replant?

That's what I'd do to be on the safe side, you may be more of a gambler than me though.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:44 »
Nice to hear people not being afraid to air their possible mistakes  :ohmy:

I don't mean that in a nasty way .... it's by mistakes that we all learn  ;)

I'm another that puts a sprinkling of Growmore on often without mixing it in  :blush:

.... as for reading instructions  :nowink:

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:46 »
I am not familiar with the fertiliser, but you say 'organic'. which to me means not chemical. Chemical fertilisers eg Growmore do burn, and I always wait 2 weeks before planting when I use it. But pelleted poultry manure is organic and I just mix and plant.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:53 »
I am not familiar with the fertiliser, but you say 'organic'. which to me means not chemical........ pelleted poultry manure is organic and I just mix and plant.

I was just going to say the same thing. I dump a handful of chicken pellets under most things I plant, so I wouldn't worry about it tbh

snow white

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 19:19 »
That is all I do as well and I usually get good potatoes.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 19:20 »
Is it too early to be planting potatoes?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 19:23 »
I've got a few tubs planted up in the greenhouse, but I wouldn't plant in the soil yet  ;)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 20:19 »
Have been itching to start things off , planting up some potatoes in bags and buckets in the green house with the radio on sounds like a ' cunning plan' . Bought some growing bags a few weeks ago , waiting to give them a go.

Checked last years diary , started planting potatoes at the beginning of May. A few weeks yet. 

al78

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 21:36 »
Is it too early to be planting potatoes?

I'm not planting any for a couple of weeks at least, even with the lovely mild sunny spring weather today. You could probably plant in bags in the greenhouse now, I've wondered whether starting potatoes in the greenhouse in February, combined with a compost bin full of fresh manure which will rot down and give off heat in the process, would work (like a natural way of heating the greenhouse to minimise risk of frost damage).

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:38 »
I have planted in late February/early March for several years now as I am not in the UK now until June.

I always wanted to grow my own potatoes but thought that I would never be able to ; then one year I got inspired by a potato growing happily from deep within my compost bin.

I plant the seed potatoes in 55L bags with 8 inches of compost and then completely fill the bags to the top. I finish off with some slug pellets and some dry straw mulch.

The plan is that the leaves don’t make it to the outside world until the last frost has passed. This is now my 5th year of successfully growing using this technique.

I guess if we had a very mild spring and then a late frost I may come a cropper but for me it is worth the risk as I have no choice.

angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl
xx
its gone wrong

Started by marvbull on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 06:19
by allotmentann
xx
Everything going wrong

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 28, 2007, 18:20
by yummy
xx
Am I doing something wrong?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 20:10
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.