Growveg Garden Planner

• 9 Replies

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
Growveg Garden Planner
« on: May 11, 2013, 19:43 »
Afternoon fellow green fingers,
Has anyone used the Growveg planner software? I'm liking the look of it but if anyone has used it, would love to know what you think.
Cheers

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Growveg Garden Planner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 19:49 »
I use an A4 sheet of paper and a pencil.... it's the best planner there is.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 19:56 »
I use it (because I'm rubbish with bits of paper), warns me each year if i'm planting something in the same family on the same part of the patch where it has been planted in (i think) the last 3 years. Let's me know how many of each plant / seed I should put in the area i've allocated. I wouldn't be without it (and the ipad app, which means I always have it to hand on the plot)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 20:08 »
I used the fe version at the start but now I prefer my own map. It didn't list everything I wanted to try and it annoyed me when you tried to print it. I drew my own and proudly have iton display in the kitchen.

Coldfeet

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 20:17 »
I used it to plan my first attempt at veg growing.   Then pretty much ignored my plan and went with what felt right at the time!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 20:30 »
I have the ipad version and I have found it useful for my first year as it calculates how many of each plant I can put in the area I designate it - very handy when planting seeds indoors as it gives me a gauge. It is also easy to change things around rather than having to do lots of versions on paper.

The ipad version isn't the most user friendly to begin with but I have got the knack now

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 20:38 »
I've got it and use it. It's a very useful tool although it does seem a little off at times with planting distances and stuff. That said, it's incredibly easy to use and if you dig a bit deeper into the software (forgive the pun) there's a lot more you can do with it than on first glance.

Like mjpalin I particularly liked the crop rotation warning feature thingy and the indicator for how many plants you'll need for that row or block. As I said it's not always spot on but it's good for estimating.

Down side is the printing is pretty awful. To get a decent size I end up printing it as a PDF and then faffing about with it in Photoshop. You can print directly obviously but it does come out verrrry small if you have a big plot.

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 21:59 »
Well thanks for the replies....as a total first timer I will give it a whirl! Any advice will be helpful haha

Sweetpea C

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:52 »
Well thanks for the replies....as a total first timer I will give it a whirl! Any advice will be helpful haha

I like the sound of the ipad app but being obsessed with stationery I bought a beautiful V&A book which I am completing for my first year. I'm enjoying the actual writing and I can take it everywhere with me!

Good luck - something has to grow that we can eat!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02 »
I've got it and use it. It's a very useful tool although it does seem a little off at times with planting distances and stuff. That said, it's incredibly easy to use and if you dig a bit deeper into the software (forgive the pun) there's a lot more you can do with it than on first glance.

Like mjpalin I particularly liked the crop rotation warning feature thingy and the indicator for how many plants you'll need for that row or block. As I said it's not always spot on but it's good for estimating.

Down side is the printing is pretty awful. To get a decent size I end up printing it as a PDF and then faffing about with it in Photoshop. You can print directly obviously but it does come out verrrry small if you have a big plot.

I second all of that. I use it on the ipad, and have to do exactly the same to get a decent print. For me though its worth the little bit of gaff with printing to get a decent opt laminated to use on the plot whatever the weather.  For me it was a case of not knowing how many plants you can get in a particular space, and how much spacing between different crops etc.  makes it all a doddle!

xx
Growveg.com planner HELP, please

Started by cammi on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 13:42
by Snoop
xx
free garden allotment planner

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 17:30
by gavinjconway
xx
does anyone use the Growveg planning tool?

Started by lizzie1982 on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 21:41
by snowdrops
question
Planner

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2021, 11:00
by jezza

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 29 queries.