When to lime

• 2 Replies

stever

When to lime
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:08 »
I have just had a trailer load of farmyard manure delivered which I will have to spread on the plot and then cover for the winter. Will it be OK to lime part of the manured area in the spring or should it be left till next season. I know it is recommended not to lime when you have added fertilizer but I am not sure how long after it can be done.

compostqueen

When to lime
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:08 »
you don't have to cover your muck if you spread it.  I'd cover up any stockpiled though  :D

You might not need to lime your soil at all, you only need do it if the soil ph requires it.

I asked this question when i first got my plot as everyone was throwing lime about. No-one could tell me for sure why they were adding it and I think they did it cos everyone else did   :D

Salmo

When to lime
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:40 »
I agree with Compostqueen about questioning whether lime is needed. I inherited a plot that had been overlimed and it induced manganese defficiency in several crops as well as producing scabby potatoes. It might be worth buying a lime testing kit, maybe share with other plotholders.

The experts say do not lime and manure at the same time. Lime in the Autumn and manure in the Spring. I think the reason is probably that manure is acid and lime directly in contact with it will be nutralised and not effective in the soil. I would like others opinions on this as I am not sure that it is scientifically sound. I would have thought that the overall effect would be the same.

If you are able to heap the manure until next Spring, apply lime now and either dig it in or work it into the top few inches. Spread the manure in the Spring and work it into the top few inches. Cover the heap if you can, but once the manure is on the soil nutrients such as phosphate, potash and magnesium will attach to the soil particles. Some nitrogen may be leached but most of it will be slowly released as the manure rots down in the soil.

xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
Lime

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2007, 10:44
by WG.
xx
To Lime or Not to Lime ??

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 11:53
by greetwellboy
xx
lime again

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 20:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 28 queries.