chilli seedlings help please..

• 12 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
chilli seedlings help please..
« on: March 19, 2010, 21:11 »
Hi all i have some chiili seedling i will be moving to my cold frame soon. I was intending in planting them in my 1 meter tall raised bed but am now concerned they may be to exposed. Also if they are suitable for beds could anyone tell me the spacing needed between the plants and likely heights please. I have been looking eveywhere with little success and dont want to ruin my plants.... :( :(
They are
Trinidad scorpion
scotch bonnet
choc habanero
bhut jolokia
red devils tounge
rocoto red
Thank you all greatly for any advice you can offer, i am hoping to fill a whole bed with plants... ;) ;)
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

peanut

• Experienced Member
Re: chilli seedlings help please..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 21:20 »
as you have some very hot varieties, I would say put them under glass in a greenhouse or conservatory.  They need a hot environment to pick up the heat in the chilli.  Although they'll grow outside, they won't pack the same punch, rather defeating the object.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 22:46 »
inside mickeyboy!! especially with the choc haberno, great in a big big tub in a ghouse

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38 »
Hi,

I've got some chillis too and they could do with more light (currently on window cill).  Would they thrive in an unheated greenhouse or do they really need extra heat ?

TIA

Nick
Peak Hives

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47 »
Hi Mickeyboy,
I've managed to germinate several varieties of chilli seeds this year including some fairly hot ones but for the life of me I cannot get my Bhut Jolokia to germinate, I've tried about thirty seeds using various methods. Any advice you can give me to start them off. I know it's possibly getting a bit late now but I'll give it a go.
Maybe they wee just duff seeds :(
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:06 »
.. I cannot get my Bhut Jolokia to germinate, I've tried about thirty seeds using various methods.

Soak them overnight, get some peat pellets (I take the mesh off and use the peat in pots) keep propagator at 25-30 degs.

Where did you have the seed from ? They're unlikely to be "duff" if it was a proper seed supplier.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:08 »
I've got some chillis too and they could do with more light (currently on window cill).  Would they thrive in an unheated greenhouse or do they really need extra heat ?

Still too cold round here - your looking for a constant temperature of +10degrees MINIMUM, depending on the seedlings you're either going to kill them or stunt their growth lower than that.

Mine will stay on the window cill for 2-3 more weeks with foil behind them.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10 »
Thanks for that Lardman I'll give that a go, does it have to be a propogator or would the airing cupboard do?
I got the seeds from e-bay from unregistered supplier (£1.99 for 25 seeds), that may teach me that you only get what you pay for

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:17 »
Mine will stay on the window cill for 2-3 more weeks with foil behind them

The foil makes all the difference to light levels  :)

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:26 »
The foil makes all the difference to light levels  :)

As DD seems to be away thought I better add it  :D

Thanks for that Lardman I'll give that a go, does it have to be a propogator or would the airing cupboard do?

The airing cupboard is probably a little on the cool side, but its certainly better than nothing. Also remember that some peppers can take weeks to germinate !

I got the seeds from e-bay from unregistered supplier (£1.99 for 25 seeds), that may teach me that you only get what you pay for

There are a lot of chilli seeds being sold on ebay that aren't what they're supposed to be, by the time you find out its far too late, and who's going to complain for £2 anyway... Having said that there are some very good suppliers on their too - When I started I had a selection pack from Ebay, all came true to type.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 14:39 »
Hi Mickeyboy,
I've managed to germinate several varieties of chilli seeds this year including some fairly hot ones but for the life of me I cannot get my Bhut Jolokia to germinate, I've tried about thirty seeds using various methods. Any advice you can give me to start them off. I know it's possibly getting a bit late now but I'll give it a go.
Maybe they wee just duff seeds :(

Hi there to be honest i had no probs... i germinated them in an air tight container sandwiched between 2 damp bits of kitchen roll. Check every few days to make sure they havent dried out(if so re wet to piece of paper) or rotting(remove lid). Then as soon as they geminate transplant to a chep b and q heated propergator for a while, then transplant to windowsiil with foil covering back and sides. I had a %100 success rate with all my chillis using this method :) :)
Hopes this helps... oh the trinidad scorpion i planted 5 seeds into prop and they all germinated aswell. Just kept moist not wet..
Hope this helps..

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 14:41 »
well it looks like its time to upset the missus agian ;) and buy a green house then by the sounds of it...
Cheers guys :)

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 16:07 »
Thanks for that Mickey :)

clip
Chilli seedlings

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2021, 19:17
by Nobbie
xx
chilli seedlings?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 15:08
by Nikkithefoot
xx
my chilli seedlings look like tomato plants

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 12:41
by digalotty
xx
Minimum temp for chilli and pepper seedlings

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 11:07
by Yana

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 30 queries.