Old Blackcurrant Bushes Now with photos

• 9 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Old Blackcurrant Bushes Now with photos
« on: March 04, 2014, 17:08 »
I have inherited 3 Blackcurrant bushes that were on our allotment when we took it over.I don't know what variety they are or how old they are so am unsure what to do about them.
We were going to dig them up as we are planning the plot differently to its previous owner, but are thinking to see what these blackcurrants are like for this year.

My questions are:

Does age matter with these bushes?
What should I do (besides clearing the grass around them) to give them a good chance?
Is it worth the work as I am sure they have been in for years?

edited to add photos in post below
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 18:44 by Ma Lowe »

Headgardener22

Re: Old Blackcurrant Bushes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 17:43 »
I have a policy to never take out anything until you've seen what it does  :).

There's a story that my father used to tell about a couple who bought a house near to them who, immediately on moving in spent time and money planting daffodils. They were very proud of themselves, the trouble was that the garden they had inherited had the best show of daffs in the village before they started.

Anyhow, seriously, I would give your blackcurrants a chance. You need to prune it now (you're probably a week or two late but it won't matter). Cut out the old dark wood (3 years old and older) and (if they're strong bushes) some of the grey 2 year-old wood to let the air circulate through the bush.

Mulch and feed it to help.

Ma Lowe

Re: Old Blackcurrant Bushes
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 18:43 »
Sorry I forgot to add the photos. Duh! ::)

The photos are of all three bushes.
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG

sion01

Re: Old Blackcurrant Bushes Now with photos
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 20:15 »
Id second headgardener.10-15 years is supposedly the productive lifespan of a blackcurrant bush.By the pictures a lot of the growth looks to be quite young the light coloured branches.I noticed that theres a dark thick branch in the middle.Id cut that as far down as you can manage.I give mine a dressing of sulphate of potash this time of year to encourage flowering=more fruit.Blackcurrants fruit on growth that grew last year so keep that in mind when pruning.I try to prune branches that are crossing and ones that are at an angle of around 45 degrees to the ground .The reason being is that when the branches that are at an angle are laden with fruit they will droop down and the fruit will touch the ground and spoil or get splashed with soil when it rains.Try to make all cuts as low down as possible to keep all branches as young as possible.You'll also want it to be well fed so you get enough fresh growth for next years crop so a good dollop of manure after the sulphate of potash will feed it and act as a mulch to keep the weeds down.Good luck

Ma Lowe

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 21:44 »
Thank you for your replies that is very helpful. Will sort them out tomorrow now as it looks to be a nice day  :D

Ema

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 21:47 »
Had quite a few frost the last week so I think I'll be leaving the spuds for a few weeks

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 21:52 »
I wouldn't worry about age too much. My Mum's are over 30 years old and we get kilos of fruit off them (non-manured, and without any feeding at all). As others have said, just prune out some of the really dark wood, and to be honest it doesn't really matter if you don't do all of it.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:37 »
With you there, Surbie!

We discovered two blackened, gnarled old bushes buried under a huge bramble on our new Patch, and as said here, left them a year to see if they still worked. Result? We had a huge crop of enormous berries, which must have been nearly half an inch across, so they had just a light pruning of all the damaged branches from their previous life, and we'll hopefully get the same sort of crop this year!

Ma Lowe

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:29 »
We managed to tidy the bushes up a bit getting rid of  thick dark wood and taking out some raspberry canes that were growing in the middle of them. Some of the dead grass that's in the middle of them came away easy but the greener stuff is tougher so will have another go at that today.
We have new black currant bushes that we planted in our garden a few weeks ago which we are no going to take up again and plant on the allotment with the others as they seem to be growing really well there.
Another day on the Lottie today just hope it doesn't rain it's looking awful grey out there  :nowink:

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 13:05 »
Don't expect blackcurrants to do as well this year as they did last, I remember seeing something that said they need 1000 hours of temperatures below 7C to fruit really well. We got that last year but certainly not this year. :(

xx
blackcurrant bushes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2015, 13:17
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Blackcurrant bushes

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 19:06
by chickpeacurry
xx
when to plant Blackcurrant bushes

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2015, 16:54
by composthappens
xx
The mystery of the blackcurrant bushes?

Started by dead eye dave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 20:23
by dead eye dave

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 36 queries.