help for beginners

• 11 Replies

jules1962

help for beginners
« on: November 04, 2010, 23:47 »
Hi i hope to be keeping a few chickens as pet in my garden, which is not very big could i keep 3small chickens ok, i was told that keeping them would be smelly and bring in rats is this true? any help  i would be so grateful, i'm hoping to do a course on keeping chickens again thank you :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: help for beginners
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:02 »
hello Jules and welcome to the site. Going on a course before getting chickens is a great idea - either that or visit somebody local who keeps chickens. Where abouts do you live? There maybe somebody local to you on here.
As for rats, mice etc - well rats will already be around you anyway it's just that you won't have noticed them - when you get chickens you will see them as they will linger around looking for any feed so good housekeeping with your chickens is vital. Store your feed in a sturdy container - I use metal dustbins that I got off freecycle, others use things like old non working freezers. Do not leave feed down over night. Do not scatter too much corn down - only give your birds enough to make sure they clean it all up. Doing this will ensure you have no food available for vermin. Mice are a different matter - chickens love to eat mice and will often be seen chasing one around and swallowing it whole  :ohmy: :lol:, they also love to eat frogs  :lol:. If you like having flowers and plants then fence them off as chickens can ruin your garden by scratching them up unless you get something like a booted bantam (such as a trio of sablepoots - my favourite birds  :D).
Good luck and once again welcome  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:43 »
hello Jules and welcome to the site. Going on a course before getting chickens is a great idea - either that or visit somebody local who keeps chickens. Where abouts do you live? There maybe somebody local to you on here.
As for rats, mice etc - well rats will already be around you anyway it's just that you won't have noticed them - when you get chickens you will see them as they will linger around looking for any feed so good housekeeping with your chickens is vital. Store your feed in a sturdy container - I use metal dustbins that I got off freecycle, others use things like old non working freezers. Do not leave feed down over night. Do not scatter too much corn down - only give your birds enough to make sure they clean it all up. Doing this will ensure you have no food available for vermin. Mice are a different matter - chickens love to eat mice and will often be seen chasing one around and swallowing it whole  :ohmy: :lol:, they also love to eat frogs  :lol:. If you like having flowers and plants then fence them off as chickens can ruin your garden by scratching them up unless you get something like a booted bantam (such as a trio of sablepoots - my favourite birds  :D).
Good luck and once again welcome  :)
Says it all really. Welcome to the site.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Biguba

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51 »
Hiya and welcome. Might be an idea to mention it to your neighbours as well. Some people have preconceived ideas about chickens  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00 »
also ask at you local vets about treating chickens should you need to.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11 »
all good advice. Re smelly - only if you don't clean them out as you should. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:23 »
As Sassy says - they are only smelly if you don't keep their area clean.

Poo pick daily clean the coop and run regularly.  Put a roof over the run to keep it dry is a very good idea too.

orchardlady

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 13:41 »
Welcome to the forum Jules. As suggested going on a course is an excellent idea. Also ask around to see if you can find a back garden hen keeper. I tell you once they've got you in their clutches you will not be able to get away for an hour or get a word in edgeways. Any one else noticed the glazed look that comes across peoples eyes when you've been talking about your hens? joking apart really try to find a person locally you will be amazed how much they will tell you.

Best of luck.

jules1962

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 14:49 »
thank you everyone for your wellcome and for all the advise :)

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 17:31 »
welcome, as someone has just said us chicken keepers can talk about our girls (& boys) for hours!! I waste many an hour just sitting out in the garden with them, I'm studying at the moment so took my books out with me today, perfect excuse!! once you get into it its very easy to get hooked and this site is great for advice

jinty1911

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 21:35 »
well I have 3 days off work and I will spend most of it chicken watching, * the house work!! My chicks are more interesting (and important)  :tongue2:
Jinty

rachelr

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 08:48 »
Jules I so wish when my kids were little that i had not wasted time on rabbits and guinea pigs. Chickens respond to you they walk with you are easier to get into bed at night and much more sociable animals than the normal pets. On top of that youget fresh eggs to eat.

Good luck once you get chickens you will be hooked the same as everyone else I know.

xx
More beginners advice please

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 14:26
by bantam novice
xx
Just a few beginners questions

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:58
by orchardlady
xx
Beginners advice

Started by Frazer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 11:12
by kegs
xx
Beginners advice

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 17:22
by beth123

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 31 queries.