Poorly Silkie.

• 3 Replies

ShoeGirl

Poorly Silkie.
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:55 »
Last week i let all the cjooks out as normal in the morning & gave them their porridge,all was fine until i went back out at about 1pm.
My Silkie was in a heap on the floor unable to stand or hold her head up and it looked as though something was very wrong with her neck as it was more 'twisty' than usual.
I bought her inside but still no improvement after a couple of hours so too her to the vet where she had an anti inflamatory & antibiotic injection.
She began to improve and is now eating & drinking normally and trotting around indoors chasing the cat.
What i'd like advice on is if i put her back outside now in these minus temperatures will it be too much of a shock for her as she's been in a nice warm house for days or should i move her to colder rooms to decrease her temperature and then put her back outside??
croppeds.jpg

themagicaltoad1

Re: Poorly Silkie.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:26 »
Glad to hear she's on the mend. If she shares the coop with other hens she should be fine as they all huddle together in the cold weather.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:29 »
Hello ShoeGirl
I would agree with Themagicaltoad here.  I also wanted to wish you good luck.  :).  You may find  that she will have to re-integrate with the rest of the flock so keep the purple spray ready.  It really is called purple spray though it is gentian violet and you can get it from most horsy feed places.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ShoeGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 21:22 »
Thank you both for the advice. I'm going to put her back outside in the morning and keep an eye on her. Fingers crossed all will be well  :)

xx
poorly silkie cockerel-help please

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 17:18
by Fat Hen
xx
What a week..now it's a Silkie with a poorly leg!

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 16:04
by Lost in France
sad
Poorly chicken (silkie) had to be put to sleep - cause?

Started by GMM on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 17:47
by GMM
xx
poorly silkie erratic egg layer

Started by capax on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 10:01
by capax

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 28 queries.