fruit cage

• 3 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
fruit cage
« on: May 16, 2010, 14:24 »
I'm over the moon with the fruit cage my husband's just built for me and had to tell you all on the forum. We used timber posts and cross bars, with debris netting for the 'walls' which had been rescued from a skip years ago. The roof is fine black netting, which George on the next allotment gave us. There's even a little hinged doorway. It's a bit low, so weeding, feeding, pruning and picking will be done on our knees .....   but that's better than a high structure which would be battered by off shore winds in the winter!  Here's praying for a bumper crop, and perhaps a few jars of sunshine in the form of blackcurrant and gooseberry jam to cheer us up during the dark gloomy winter months!

Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

JohnB47

Re: fruit cage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 14:55 »
Good news indeed.

I'm planning to build something similar this Autumn - I've just planted a range of fruit bushes and can't wait till I get them all cosey and protected before next Spring. I'll go for a walk in one though and taking your advice I'l make sure to build in some extra support against storms.

Good luck for a good crop.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 16:09 »
It's always good to hear when something like that works out, Jeanieblue. Hope you get your wish  ;)

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 20:09 »
My fruit cage is long past it's best, and needs replacement. I was thinking of making the replacement the usual walk in height, but you've got me thinking. Currants and gooseberries don't need the height, and it would be easier to remove the net from a lower frame, so instead of removing the net for the winter, why not just cover while the fruit is developing, then remove for picking. Simples?

The raspberries can have a standard height cage all of their own. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
fruit cage

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 16:33
by sunshineband
xx
Fruit Cage Help

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 17:05
by DD.
xx
what shall I put in my fruit cage?

Started by parakeet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 09:01
by boldondig
xx
Fruit Cage

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 17:18
by Rowan

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 29 queries.