what shall I put in my fruit cage?

• 4 Replies

parakeet

what shall I put in my fruit cage?
« on: July 30, 2013, 21:31 »
Hello - I am an allotment newbie, having been lucky enough to acquire a plot this April that has a fruitcage in it. I will dig the cage over and start planting things this autumn - I'm thinking a couple of blackcurrant bushes, a cherry tree and either a nectarine or a peach. (I only have half a cage as we share the plot.)  I have grown raspberries fine in my garden without a cage, so will plant those in the open air.

Can anyone give any advice about which is easiest to grow (and gives the best harvest), nectarine or peach? And does that seem like a sensible plan of action or am I missing something obvious? Those are the fruits I like best so it seems the best way forward.

Thanks for any advice.

Trillium

Re: what shall I put in my fruit cage?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 22:14 »
Peach is usually more commonly grown and fairly easy other than the spring 'peach leaf curl' disease in damp years. The affected leaves fall off and regrow so it's not a major problem although an annoying one when it happens. Unless you have a serious problem with wasps, peaches and nectarines aren't usually grown in fruit cages but depending on your local weather they might need a greenhouse.

Cherries definitely need caging as all my neighbours can vouch. And if you like gooseberries, the birds also like those.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 22:50 »
I would look at what crops others on your site net.   Trillium has trouble with gooseberries, but nobody nets these on our site and they are untouched.  In fact I didn't net any fruit this year apart from strawberries and redcurrants which we do need to net or all will be gone.   Raspberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries and even blueberries are untouched.  Be guided by the experience of those near you.  Bird fruit tastes seem to vary widely with location!

parakeet

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 23:48 »
That is great advice, to look at the contents of other fruit cages on my plot, thank you. Good to hear I don't need to net my peach/nectarine too. In that case I should have room for a plum instead.

I can't imagine a fruit cage keeping out wasps, unless I am missing something obvious?
Cheers

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:01 »
I built a new fruit cage where the old one was. What I did not realise is that when going to plant new raspberry bushes they tell you not to plant where old raspberries have been. I found this out the hard way. Also strawberries are good in the cage but need rotating every three years . Blackcurrants etc. have a ten year life - so you need to plan ahead ...Blueberries need ericaceous compost - so I planted in buried pots and they seem to be growing OK after two years ...

xx
Fruit & Veg Cage HELP PLEASE

Started by Rnunes on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 01, 2018, 17:56
by robinahood
xx
fruit cage

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 20:09
by woodburner
xx
Fruit cage

Started by taytors on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 07:46
by taytors
xx
Fruit Cage Help

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 17:05
by DD.

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 36 queries.