spaniel injured chicken :(

• 6 Replies

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
spaniel injured chicken :(
« on: January 11, 2012, 15:20 »
What to do, just had to put down our chicken after spaniel caught it and injured really badly  :(- he is only 1 year old and has been trained for gun dog, but managed to get the chicken after he escapped from fenced off area - 3rd time this had happened in 4 mths :( - love dog to bits, but at the same time hate what he is doing, would not dream off doing it if i was with him, but turn your back for a minute... >:(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 15:22 by CMFAM »

sion01

Re: spaniel injured chicken :(
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 15:40 »
That's really sad.If you can't keep them appart one will have to go.That's a bit strange for a spaniel I reckon as they are normally quite soft mouthed especially as it is trained as a gun dog.Next door's spaniel had a habit of coming over into my garden when we had chicken's and just carried them around quite softly.The chooks didn't appreciate it but were quite uninjured.

I hope you come to an outcome that suits everyone

rainie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 16:36 »
I have a spaniel who will kill a chicken and one who will completely ignore the chicken. It is just so awful to know he does this and he is my responsibility. I havent found a way of teaching the spaniel not to chase and/or kill a chicken yet.

A gamekeeper suggested I tied the dead chicken onto the dogs collar and then let him carry it around with him and he should then get fed up with it and not do it again, BUT I havent tried it, I think my springer may just eat it from his neck! Which then will make him want to do it more.
My springer only chases the chicken when it moves away from him.

He has improved with sheep though, with help from a 'working dog' trainer. (he didnt kill/touch them, just chase them).

Sorry, not much help, but you aren't alone with this problem.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 18:26 »
Thanks all, I am know going to try and find a local dog trainer to see if they can give me any further tips as dont want to re-home him as such a lovable dog :happy: If anyone know any tips they will be greatly appreciated.

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 18:55 »
What you could try is putting your spaniel on a leash and integrating him with the chickens whilest ur there so he can get used to them as friends more than food. Whilest training him to LEAVE! and rewarding him for doing so... A good gun dog very well trained should no when to LEAVE!
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 20:24 »
A friend had a springer who would 'retrieve' the farms ducks when not watched. The dog was soft mouthed and a good retriever, any damage done was usually by the duck trying to escape as opposed to being actually bitten .
The ducks were always retrieved 'to hand' with a 'how clever am i'  look.

As the old adage goes "most Labradors are born half trained and most spaniels die half trained".

Agatha

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:27 »
I don't know if this is any help, but my dog used to chase deer so I started only walking her on a long lead, and every time she saw a deer I taught her to look at the deer and then look at me & she then got a really yummy treat.  It took a few months, but eventually, every time she saw a deer she would look at me for a treat.  This week she was running off lead, ran round the corner ahead of me & saw some deer...she just sat down and waited for me to come so she could get her treat!  It might be worth trying this with your dog and the chickens.  Meanwhile, keep him on a lead when he & the chickens are in the same area, just to prevent any more accidents!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
Springer Spaniel vs Chicken Poo

Started by chickensuburbian on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 20:37
by hendreary
sad
Injured chicken

Started by Klarasudveg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2022, 22:08
by New shoot
xx
HELP INJURED CHICKEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 14:58
by ehs284
xx
Injured Chicken

Started by sarahgeneric on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2021, 17:06
by grinling

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 34 queries.