Unibed- has anyone tried it?

• 3 Replies

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Unibed- has anyone tried it?
« on: January 16, 2012, 13:14 »
I will soon be needing some new bedding for our hens and spotted this http://www.unibed.uk.com/poultry-game-bedding.cfm at our farm store. I usually use Plospan (dust extracted shavings).

I like the sound of the Unibed, but wondered about it being straw and it encouraging mites.

What do you think? Or what does everyone else use? I think the Plospan is about £7 or £9 for 135 litres.

8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Unibed- has anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 14:05 »
how finely is it chopped? I do like the fact that it has been treated  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 20:04 »
I use it in my run, It costs just over £5 for a plastic wrapped bale at my local shop. I dont know how much there is in a bale but it is well compacted. Once you cut off the plastic wrapping it spreads out over a good area. It is chopped to a lengh of about 4 to 6 inches. The only slight problem I have found is that I like to poo pick a couple of times a day, but after spreading a new bale it is impossible to see the poo. As I say, only a slight problem as it all ends up on the compost heap anyhow.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 20:53 »
It sounds rather long?

I like the fact it's been treated too joyful.

I poo pick once a day, so I don't know whether to use it or not  :(. Would the facts it's straw be ok. Maybe it's not harbouring anything with it being treated.

They are devils at my farm store for not pricing things, so I'm not sure how much they are charging for it. As I wasn't ready for any more bedding I didn't ask.

Decisions, decisions.....

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 37 queries.