Homebase Multi purpose compost

• 87 Replies

beanqueen

Homebase Multi purpose compost
« on: March 13, 2010, 18:30 »
I've been using this for years with good results...sieve it for seeds and use it for all the potting on, no problems

This year it's horrible stuff, full of bits of bark and really rough. Has anyone else has this or have I just been unlucky. It's like the stuff and the bottom of your compost bin, not fully rotted down

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
Re: Homebase Multi purpose compost
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 18:56 »
I've had it too BeanQueen,
from homebase and other outlets, I've named it tobacco compost.
Asda £1 a bag was great last year but this year as with homebase is full of bits,
my leeks have come up fine in it though and my onions
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 19:02 »
Must clarify re asda compost, it was only the first bag that was bad, subsequent ones were fine, (sorry asda) :)

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 21:53 »
Yup, bag from Home Base full of bits.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46 »
Sorry but not re homebase compost but Arthur Bowers. I posted a thread a week or so ago about White mould in it. Reassurances on here and from the manufacturers haves proved wrong sadly. This White mould has attacked all my onion sets, latching on to the skins if the sets, scorching them black before exploding into a White ball of fur. I have emailed the manufacturers asking for a refund but we'll see...... I've been given a bag of humax and it's fabulous, nice and dark with a lovely texture and I want some more. Does anyone know where in west Kent it is stocked? Would be a great help! Thanks so much!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 16:05 »
You should be able to get humax if your local allotment association has a "shed" that sells stuff. Try that.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 16:08 »
Miracle grow is OK this year....theres a deal of two 50l bags for a tenner at Focus
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 16:48 »
Sorry but not re homebase compost but Arthur Bowers. I posted a thread a week or so ago about White mould in it. Reassurances on here and from the manufacturers haves proved wrong sadly. This White mould has attacked all my onion sets, latching on to the skins if the sets, scorching them black before exploding into a White ball of fur. I have emailed the manufacturers asking for a refund but we'll see...... I've been given a bag of humax and it's fabulous, nice and dark with a lovely texture and I want some more. Does anyone know where in west Kent it is stocked? Would be a great help! Thanks so much!

Interesting. Normally any fungus is off the wood bark and harmless. Wonder what strain it is.

Theres a horticultural distributors at Aylesford called Monro's, they will sell you cash on collection, and may well stock Humax.

boosh

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 17:20 »
I've been using Lidil's own multipurpose, yeah its got bits in it but its been allright for me, i'm trying there seed compost this year, very dark and no bits so far,  recomend.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 17:41 »
You should be able to get humax if your local allotment association has a "shed" that sells stuff. Try that.

Yes - I bought a few bags of Arthur Bowers seed sowing compost last year, it was rubbish, great huge lumps of clay and stones 5/10mm.  I was so cheezed off I too it back to the GC who said nothing and just gave me my money back.

I subsequently used last year and am doing so this year (a new lot) WESTLAND John Innes seed sowing compost, its super stuff as far as I'm concerned.  As am addemdum I also use there multi purpose compast which is excelent and cheap ( £12 for 3x75ltr bags)
Death OR Cake ???

savbo

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 19:33 »
noticed Aldi selling 'organic' growbags and compost - but seemed to be organic as in carbon-based rather than Soil Assoc or other approval....bit naughty

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 20:19 »
Miracle grow is OK this year....theres a deal of two 50l bags for a tenner at Focus

Miracle gro is OK every year! Ill have to get down to my local focus toot sweet! :D
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 20:23 »
I got some stuff from Wickes as I happenned to be in there, and was horrified when I opened it today.  It looks like bark chippings.

It's going back tomorrow.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 20:24 »

Miracle gro is OK every year! Ill have to get down to my local focus toot sweet! :D

Just to add.....everything's popped up nicely this year

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 20:49 »
I used Wickes own MP compost last year and it seemed good stuff so I've bought some more this year. Only opened one bag so far and it's the same as last years. There's a few lumps in it but in general, excellent cheap compost.

xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
best multi purpose compost 2018

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 16:19
by Tracybutton
xx
Cheap multi purpose compost

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 16:49
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 32 queries.