What's the going rate for 3 day old chicks?

• 11 Replies

rosie14

What's the going rate for 3 day old chicks?
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:24 »
I recently paid £10 each for 3, 3 day old chicks. Gold laced Orpie and 2 Bantam Orpies in lavender and black. I'm new to all this what's the going rate? I know POL Gold laced are about £25 here in kent is that right? thanks

Helenaj

Re: What's the going rate for 3 day old chicks?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:57 »
Hi Rosie14. Reading your previous posts - you seem to have had a run of bad luck. :(

Easiest way to price chicks is to look at lots of other sites and get an average price for the breed you are intersted in. Most sites when they advertise chicks are advertising a price up to a week old, so you should get a rough idea. Price depends on the breed as well - rare breeds or rare colouring are far more expensive.
I recently bought (4 months ago) eight 2 day old Copper Black Maran hybrid chicks (sex linked) for £2.50 each.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 16:31 »
I got 3 rhode island reds for £5 each, but they turned out to be a tasty treat for a fox after 2 days. I now keep the new ones at a secret location. I can't say where incase the fox is reading this forum.

photo to follow shortly  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 17:35 by joyfull »

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 20:10 »
I got 3 rhode island reds for £5 each, but they turned out to be a tasty treat for a fox after 2 days. I now keep the new ones at a secret location. I can't say where incase the fox is reading this forum.

photo to follow shortly  :)

I know Mr Fox is supposed to be clever but really? lol!!! Best not say though just in case  :nowink:

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 20:14 »
Hi Rosie14. Reading your previous posts - you seem to have had a run of bad luck. :(

OMG you said it begginers bad luck or what?!
 Easiest way to price chicks is to look at lots of other sites and get an average price for the breed you are intersted in. Most sites when they advertise chicks are advertising a price up to a week old, so you should get a rough idea. Price depends on the breed as well - rare breeds or rare colouring are far more expensive. I did look and ring round but it seems the season is over around here! And yes colours breeds figure, I know the Lace wings are usually pricier than the £10 I paid for my POL earlier in the year
I recently bought (4 months ago) eight 2 day old Copper Black Maran hybrid chicks (sex linked) for £2.50 each.What's sex linked? Is it related?

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 20:52 »
We ordered our chicks online, they were delivered at a week old (because they had quite a long way to travel and they were too little at a day old)
We paid £5 for each of the hybrids, and £12 for the cream legbar, plus the £5 delivery charge.
They only sell auto-sexing breeds at such a young age to ensure that you have girls.
x
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 21:13 »
hi where did you do mail order from (are you allowed to say the company?) if not please would you PM me :) I see on the US forums they seem to use mail order alot! thanks

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 21:17 »
www.happychicks.co.uk

They were really good for us, gave us plenty of notice of delivery, and came exactly on time. Even set my brooder up for me because I was being all girly and couldn't work out how to set the lamp up =p
And my chickens are brilliant! They've all just started laying and are very healthy and good.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 21:22 »
if you buy from them or any other mail order company make sure they give you an exact time of delivery as some people who use mail order have had to wait many hours for their birds to arrive.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:47 »
I echo Joyfull's comments completely - you can read on here of some horror stories from less reputable companies delivery hens/chicks.

In answer to your question of what is a sex-linked chick - they are bred in such a way that when they are born, females are a different colour (or have a different marking) to the males, therefore any cockerels can be culled immediately.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:28 »
Prices do seem to vary depending upon whereabouts in the country you are. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

rosie14

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15 »
www.happychicks.co.uk

They were really good for us, gave us plenty of notice of delivery, and came exactly on time. Even set my brooder up for me because I was being all girly and couldn't work out how to set the lamp up =p
And my chickens are brilliant! They've all just started laying and are very healthy and good.

thanks for that and Helenaj I thought that was 'autosex' breeds, just another term, Geeze I'm learning more off of you all than in the last 4 years we've had chickens! Thankyou everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience  :D  :D  :D

xx
Rate my chooks and their setup please...!

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 12:55
by Cluckyclaire
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 30 queries.