Baldy hen

• 10 Replies

indianrunner88

Baldy hen
« on: August 12, 2011, 17:15 »
Hi,

I have 5 ex-batts.  One of them was exceptionally small, bald and runty when she arrived.  She has never grown a full coat of feathers (I've had this particular one for a year).  She grew some new feathers but has always retained 3 bald areas.  I would put it down to diet yet the other 4 have feathered up so well I can't tell them apart from my 2 rhode island hens.  On returning from holiday she looks worse than usual.  Although she is at the bottom of the pecking order the hens usually rub along okay and I haven't seen the others actively pecking her.

They are fed on smallholder layers pellets.  I've bought some daily tonic for the water that says it helps with moulting to see if that peps her up.  I've also got some verm-x to rule out internal parasites.

Apart from looking hideous, she is a very active, normally and perky hen.

Any ideas what else I can do or is she just destined to be the runt forever?

indianrunner88

Re: Baldy hen
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 17:59 »
Having looked at the post nearby on pecking it sounds like it could be the problem - yet I never see it happening.  I spend a lot of time just sitting with them and they all eat together and go around together.  Very occasionally one will swipe at another but I haven't seen a regular habit.

Could it be while they're waiting to be let out in the morning?

Someone suggested a jacket in another post.  There are some wool ones on ebay but would the bird chill if it rained?  Do they just go on in the day?

Thanks.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:30 »
I would try spraying the hen with purple spray (the bald bits not the whole hen)  This worked for a rescue hen that we took in that was not initially accepted by our hens.  Whilst the bald bits dont look pleasant if the hens aren't drawing blood it is unlikely to harm her as she will keep warm enough in this weather, so wouldn't personally bother with a coat
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

indianrunner88

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58 »
Is this the same purple spray that you use on horses?  I also wondered about sun cream on hot days.

Thank you.

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 20:14 »
It is literally called purple spray and is available from suppliers of hen food.  I think it is gentian violet in an aerosol so acts as an antiseptic but the purple colour is said to put hens off pecking (they are said to be attracted to red and will keep pecking if they see blood but are put off by purple for some reason.  It certainly seems to work with my hens (and Quail), better than the anti peck spray which just tastes bad

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 20:16 »
It is the same purple spray you use on horses =)
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

indianrunner88

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 14:14 »
Thank you for the advice - I have a lovely purple hen :)  Clashes with the ginger!

Two different sets of neighbours thought I had some sort of rare breed purple hen  ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 14:16 »
please don't rely on Verm-x to treat internal parasites - it doesn't work. Use Flubenvet - this is proven to work and is licensed for poultry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 20:02 »
I've always kept my hens free range which means they can get away from each other if there is a problem. Over the years I occasionally get one hen that when she gets to approx 2 years old their feathers start to look very tatty and threadbare. I'm almost certain it's because they are excellent layers. Of course I have no scientific proof only many years of observation. You may well find that this little lady is one of these birds. I would avoid jackets etc as it can create problems with red mite living under them right next to the skin. I've always found that my scruffy birds do just fine even in cold weather.

Orchardlady

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:13 »
...Over the years I occasionally get one hen that when she gets to approx 2 years old their feathers start to look very tatty and threadbare. I'm almost certain it's because they are excellent layers. Of course I have no scientific proof only many years of observation. ...

I've read the same thing from a lot of different sources.  If a hen is putting lots of energy, protein and nutrients into making eggs, she often doesn't have enough left to make feathers as well so ends up looking rather scruffy.  All you can do is make sure she has an excellent diet and good housing so she stays in the best health.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45 »
yes it is the same purple spray as for horses.

I wouldn't use a jacket - if the hen gets wet I think it would get very chilled!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
baldy hen

Started by corkee on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 08:10
by Craig69
xx
Baldy Bird

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 13:40
by too many girls
xx
baldy bottoms

Started by debsiwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 15:00
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Fox wounds and baldy butt!

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 19:09
by nic_28

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 31 queries.