chick's food and water inside coop

• 5 Replies

bantam novice

chick's food and water inside coop
« on: July 07, 2012, 22:30 »
Hello there,

We have five chicks which hatched out three days ago under a broody hen and all seems to be well with them except that mother hen keeps kicking up the sawdust into the food and water.  I have already had to clean off one chick which had pasty bum and the food and water have been renewed at least  twice a day! 

I am wondering when other people put the food and water outside for them.  A whole night seems to be a long time for a three day old chick to go without food and water though I know that adult hens don't eat or drink when they are perching at night.  What have other people done?

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

rosie14

Re: chick's food and water inside coop
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 22:43 »
Hi, I had a bit of a different set up to you. I layered the whole brooder in newspaper and used fleece under the actual nest part with dust extracted, soft straw on top with a small lip of wood at the edge and so the 'living area' just had the newspaper which had small shallow dishes of food and water. They also all went free range for part of the day when I was around.

I know straw and just newpaper is not recommended because it is slippery and can cause spraddle leg but it was fine they were all strong and healthy chicks.

Could you try another set up and ditch or partially remove and contain the shavings?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 22:56 »
sawdust should not be used but instead dust extracted shavings or similar. They do not need food and water overnight so only have them out for them during the day and have them placed outside the sleeping area  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 23:01 »
I keep the food and water in the outside part of the coop. I also take it away and bring it inside (by the back door) at night as I don't want to attract rats or mice.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 23:52 »
i put the food and water outside during the day. the broody bought her chicks out when they were a day old.
i put a pot of food in the coop at night (just an old Flora tub washed out) and their usual water container. Because the flora tub has higher sides than the level of wood shavings it wasnt a problem and the chicks could still get in it to eat. I raise the water container off the ground with a half brick or even an upside down saucer would suffice.
Its quite a large coop for upto 12 birds so there was plenty of room.
I dont think it's necesary to put food and water in for them at night as their eyesight in the dark isnt brilliant but it was easier for me to store it in there and i noticed that they went to bed much earlier than the other chooks.
I never leave food out at night

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46 »
Thanks all.  That's very helpful.  I meant dust extracted wood shavings when I typed sawdust.  I was just rather tired.  Mother hen is a good scratcher!  They are now out but this is the first day she has led them out for very long.  Not surprised with all the rain yesterday but at least there is plenty of room in the coop!  I will  try to post some pics later.  I have put the food and drink outside with them and will keep the under cover at night in a rat-proof container.

xx
Food outside or inside the coop?

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 20:58
by karlooben
xx
Inside the coop

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 15:47
by Blarney
xx
Feeding inside the coop

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 12:03
by nerdle
xx
Hen's roosting outside in run rather than inside coop???

Started by 4chooks on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 18:19
by 4chooks

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 34 queries.