Help with decisions

• 12 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Help with decisions
« on: July 04, 2012, 18:54 »
Beryl’s was diagnosed with 2 small tumours on her ovaries on 28 May.  She now has a large tumour that has distended her back end.  She is walking, eating and pooing fine, and seems very happy.

I was given the option of having her put to sleep today, the vet pointed out this would be before she gets ill and suffers.  I said that this sounds a good idea.  The vet then said, but she seems happy, with a good quality of life at the moment - so I’ve bought her home.

When is the nicest time to have her put to sleep…..now…..in a couple of weeks……… or watch her carefully for the first sign of illness?

Secondly, her mate died 3 weeks ago, so she is my only chicken.  I was planning to pick up two ex-batts on Friday so she has some buddies. 

Now, because of the large tumour, she might die very soon,  I don’t know whether to get her these new chickens.  It’s sad when they get ill and die.  I'd like a break from chickens for a couple of months.

So my plan might be - don’t get any more hens, just give her a few more weeks of treats and worms and things.  But, then I think this is wrong,  that’s she needs friends, even if it’s only for a few weeks.

So, in a nutshell, when is the best time to take her to the vet, and should I get her some chums in the meantime?

kegs

Re: Help with decisions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 19:32 »
I'm sure an expert will be along to offer advice but if it were me, in your circumstances, this is what I would do.

I would put off getting the ex bats because introducing new chickens in to a flock can be stressful - there's no guarantee that she would get on with them and there could be problems with the pecking order.  If she seems happy at the moment give her plenty of TLC, spoil her with treats, (although obviously don't go too mad), let her enjoy herself, and try to spend as much time with her as you are able, and then at the first sign of illness put her to sleep or take her back to the vets.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chick Chick

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 20:29 »
I agree with Kegs......chickens can be nasty and new ones may pick on her because she is sick

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 22:25 »
I agree with Kegs too, if you want a few months break from chooks, don't get anymore.  The stress of getting them may finish Beryl off anyway!

As to exactly 'when' you should have her put to sleep is hard to say.  Chickens hide their illnesses very well, so by the time you see she is very ill, she's been like it for ages, but kept it well hidden.

At least you know she has had a wonderful life, and I hope that if she decides its time to go, she falls asleep quietly and doesn't wake up.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31 »
I agree with Grannie Annie. One of the reasons they keep their illnesses so well hidden is to avoid being picked on by the other birds who see them as a weakness and a threat to the flock.

It is always difficult to know when to do the deed for the best, unfortunately only you can decide :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 20:38 »
Thank you everyone for bringing a bit of reality to the situation.  I cancelled the new ex-batts this morning, but I keep thinking I'm depriving Beryl of her last few days/weeks ambleing round the garden with some chums.  In reality as has been pointed out, it's likely there would be a few scuffles before we'd get to the pals stage.

Sassy and GrannieAnnie, the swelling is huge and must be affecting her.  I worry that they hide illness, but she has seems very happy and is eating well - she has just stolen the cats' food from under their noses, and is having a good long dustbath.  I will keep a close eye.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 21:36 »
Give lots of cuddles and strokes and treats.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:02 »
It is very hard but you will do the right thing :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14 »
Beryl is lucky to have such a caring owner.  I think you will know when it is time.  Until then enjoy watching her do all the chicken things she loves doing and store those memories.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15 »
Thank you everybody, I glad I followed your advice.  Beryl suddenly went down hill yesterday morning.  One minute she was nicking worms as I dug the garden, then she went quiet and not interested. 

My cat's vets have vets on 7 days a week, as they are an emergency hospital.  They don't do birds normally, but they put her to sleep for me.  I can't thank then enough for that.

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:49 »
 :( Sorry to hear about Beryl.  You have obviously cared for her beautifully and she has had a good chickeny life with you.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

kegs

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:36 »
Sorry to hear about Beryl and that you only had a few extra days together.   :(  I'm glad your vet was able to sort it out for you. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:45 »
So sorry for your loss.  You did the responsible thing and she didn't suffer.  Enjoy all of your precious memories of Beryl.

xx
New Hen House - more decisions to make

Started by gsc on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:09
by gsc
xx
Decisions.. Arkus v Solway v Doodlehouse

Started by Lisa Hailwood on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 18:27
by Colernehens

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 30 queries.