Peat ash on the compost heap?

• 3 Replies

RGManby

« on: December 19, 2008, 09:50 »
The old man (82) that I frequently pop in to and do the odd bit of shopping for, has told me to put peat ashes on the compost heap, apparently he says it helps break it down faster?
Peat ash is very fine and red, we have an abundance of the stuff, we burn it on the Rayburn and the rest of the fires in the house, the only trouble I can see is our peat for burning is black peat (almost like coal) and peat is very acidic raw!
I don't want to ruin a good compost heap by trying it, it may just be an old wives tale, and something they used to do just to get rid of the stuff, so was wondering if anyone has ever put ash on their compost heap or knows any thing before I try.

Thanks in advance  :)

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 13:33 »
I'm not 100% sure about the chemistry involved however I think the resulting ash will be high in soluble potassium and probably alkaline.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 13:44 »
I'll revise my last post.  I researched some available scientific literature and I found a few studies into soils at St Kilda. The findings can be summarised as:

Arable soils [on Hirta] were considerably elevated in lead and zinc compared to non-arable soils.  Analysis of the waste streams, determined that this pollution came from peat and turf ash (Pb and Zn) and from bird carcases (Zn). The pollution of such a remote island may be typical of other ‘bird culture’ islands, and peat ash contamination of marginal arable soils at high latitudes may be widespread in terms of geographical area, but less intense at specific locations due to lower population densities than on Hirta.

Meharg et al., 2006, Ancient manuring practices pollute arable soils at the St Kilda World Heritage Site, Scottish North Atlantic, Chemosphere, Volume 64, Issue 11, September 2006, pp 1818-1828

The question is whether the amount you put on your compost would build up in the soil over time to significant levels.

RGManby

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 22:18 »
Thanks for your time looking that up. I have heard many a story of St Kilda as its just over the sea from us .. well 40m or so due south west, I had actually heard that they were putting their own faeces on their crops which polluted the land and caused their downfall.

I think I will be getting out the young lads chemistry kit after Christmas and seeing what PH it is.

Its also interesting that the article says high levels of lead from peat ash, another aspect to look in to, I am sure I will not be putting any any where near the garden if there is the slightest chance of lead contamination.

Thanks once again    :)

xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert
exclamation
Peat in compost ?

Started by Matt31 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 08:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Peat free compost

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 12:26
by blue_cortina

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 28 queries.