Disheartened

• 17 Replies

chillimummy

Disheartened
« on: July 17, 2020, 00:55 »
 Bit of a negative post but plot bit of a disaster this year  :(
Sowed lots of seeds direct but all eaten by slugs.  :(
Resowed some in pots at home so have some replacements.
Planted sugar snap peas but all eaten.
So after that, had lots of squash ,pumpkins and courgettes, all very healthy.
Planted in a bed which surrounded with chicken wire to protect from rabbits  but all died, too cold?
Onions, shallots and potatoes OK.
Grass path between plots never stops growing  :lol:
Unfortunately I'm only one cutting at mo, elderly plot neighbour's .
Physically struggled this year due to health issues but OK now.
Plot not as bad as it could be but empty :(
On a positive note, garden wonderful.  :D
Flowers are amazing, lettuce ,spinach ,fruit ,rocket, sugar snap peas are thriving.
Just feel fed up with plot after tonight's visit and whether all the hard work is worth it.
Hard work germinating seed's is wasted.
Sorry for negative post but needed to vent. :(
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Disheartened
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 09:48 »
Oh! Bad luck!
I think we all have good and bad years, this one hasn't been great for me either, the biggest problem being the weird weather.
Lots of people having problems this year, check out this thread -
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=132957.msg1537427#msg1537427
So you are not alone ;)

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01 »
I can't offer any advice, but you have my sympathy...  :wub:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:58 »
Awwwww sounds like a bad day, but I hope your post made you feel a bit better for venting.

As MoS says, it is an odd year.  I have found winners and losers on my plot as well  :)

chillimummy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 12:26 »
Thanks all.
Your sympathy really helps.
Thinking that shouldn't have planted squash in cold snap but didn't expect them all to expire  :lol:
Am giving serious consideration to going back to a half plot.
Although OH does help a bit, it's my plot.
Had knee replacement 6 years ago so need to take care of that but this year had severe sciatica/back problems for months too so felt like I was falling to bits  ;)
The original half plot I had is fine but never really got on top of overgrown fruit area on second half.
The plus of second half is a shed and lovely plum tree which crop's heavily every year.
Minus is brambles popping up everywhere, awful soil behind fruit bushes and high hedges at the very back with an overgrown path.
Have front garden at home which OH suggested turning into veg patch.
Love my allotment and worked really hard on it over past 8 years and hoping to retire in 4 years.
Wouldn't give it up but maybe less would be better.
Thanks all for listening to me moan  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 13:07 »
You sound to be in the same position health-wise as me, and yes the fruit half of my plot is a pain in the bum, (literally) - especially this year, when some of the fruit harvests have been so so. I've been thinking is it worth it?
Another plot holder (he's my next door neighbour :) saw me struggling and offered to help by growing in the 2 spare 8' x 10' beds (I've just got a few spare squash in atm) on that half of the plot, in exchange for weeding and pruning of the fruit beds. He only has a small plot so is pleased to have the extra growing space.
I'll see how that works out next year, before deciding..
Fingers crossed, we all have a better year in 2021 :)

jambop

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 13:57 »
Sad to hear that you are not getting results from your garden :(  The thing is that gardening is a pastime that is 100% guaranteed to give you a fair share of failures... what you have to do is think about the positives you have had and build on that. There is still time to start some new vegs away, you may not get a huge crop from then but what you do get will be the icing on the cake. Then you have to think about your over winter vegs they will need starting soon too.

al78

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 14:08 »
It has been a challenging weather year for gardening. We've had a Mediteranean summer in spring, followed by autumn in summer. At this rate we'll see freak blizzards in September.

I have minimal success with sowing direct outdoors as well, which is why I start everything indoors, except carrots which I sowed in February in the greenhouse raised bed. Carrots almost never grow for me outdoors so next year, I'm going to make a small raised bed dedicated to them.

chillimummy

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 14:25 »
Thanks all. :)
Reading all your lovely comments really helps.
Have some stuff to plant at plot and seeds to sow but will net everything. even beetroot which don't normally .
Have French beans to sow at home with few other bits but leaving nothing uncovered at plot  :lol:.
Will see how things feel over coming months, have regular supply of rabbit poo so can cover empty gaps with that over winter.
Our allotments are lovely and very popular so would hate to give up half then regret it later.
As you all said, odd year but have had some success to focus on.  :D
Thanks all
Jude xx

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 14:40 »
Chills, Mrs Growster and I were discussing some of our awful failures just an hour ago...

So, it's 'out' with the blueberries (into pots), re-organise the other fruit bushes and gain enough space for another couple of rows of winter veg! Simples!

Mrs Growster has hit the jackpot with her suggestion of spinach, to over-winter, and use as we like in the new space! Just thought, might even do some PSB - but I haven't told her yet, so you're the first to know!

'Swings and roundabouts', 'friends and relations' - they're all the same..;0)

You'll be just fine - you had some real successes there in your list!

chillimummy

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 23:23 »
Chills, Mrs Growster and I were discussing some of our awful failures just an hour ago...

So, it's 'out' with the blueberries (into pots), re-organise the other fruit bushes and gain enough space for another couple of rows of winter veg! Simples!

Mrs Growster has hit the jackpot with her suggestion of spinach, to over-winter, and use as we like in the new space! Just thought, might even do some PSB - but I haven't told her yet, so you're the first to know!

'Swings and roundabouts', 'friends and relations' - they're all the same..;0)

You'll be just fine - you had some real successes there in your list!
Thanks Growster.
Went to plot this afternoon with son to help.
Trying to break it down into bite sized parts : :)
Had good look at it as we were leaving and not too bad.
Have had some amazing past seasons so focusing on that.
You always sound like you have brilliant plans for your growing  :D
Thanks for sharing your "secret" with me  :lol:

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 14:10 »
It's heartening to read the posts on this thread because I've been having such up and downs with my veggies this year.
For me, the thing I find the most disheartening is when I spend weeks growing from seed, harden off the seedlings and then plant them out, only to lose them and then have to determine if I have enough growing season left to start all over again. It always feels like such a waste of effort.
At least I know I'm not alone, chillimummy!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 16:17 »
Try to keep your spirits up. My veg has been attacked by rabbits this year. They live in a field which normally has dogs exercised in it unfortunately virus means no exercising dogs in the field so rabbits running amok! My onions were growing well till they had a “haircut”. Peas nibbled, spinach munched and french beans struggling in the heat.
Fingers crossed things will improve.
Keep digging

chillimummy

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 19:23 »
It's heartening to read the posts on this thread because I've been having such up and downs with my veggies this year.
For me, the thing I find the most disheartening is when I spend weeks growing from seed, harden off the seedlings and then plant them out, only to lose them and then have to determine if I have enough growing season left to start all over again. It always feels like such a waste of effort.
At least I know I'm not alone, chillimummy!
That was what was worst thing.
Had lots of pumpkins, squash and courgettes that had nurtured from seed and were so healthy, lots of flowers and after finally planting them, now all gone.
Eaten by slugs or rabbits?
Too late to resow  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 20:04 »
It might be worth looking at reducing slug habitat & could you put up a rabbit proof fence around the plot? Expensive I know but if done once well it could save you a great load of grief. I’ve found going no dig has really saved me from hours of weeding & slug damage. Thank fully we don’t have a rabbit problem.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Disheartened

Started by alimilly on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 22:08
by alimilly
xx
Disheartened....

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 08:14
by Swing Swang
xx
Getting disheartened

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 14:34
by DD.
xx
Disheartened with plot

Started by Hevski on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 18:26
by Clactonite

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 45 queries.