Neighbours impacting my enjoyment of plot

• 21 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Neighbours impacting my enjoyment of plot
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 17:28 »
An approach I'd suggest:

You have listed about a half dozen things that are bothering you. Before going to the Council or Committee that has oversight power, list (write out) each and every issue. Rank them with 1 being the worst, the last on the list being the least important. Don't leave any issue out.

For each issue, what bothers you and why? For example, with the constant drilling described, is it just the noise? Or are you worried that the next structure might be a "tiny home" dwelling/weekend retreat or kiddie park/playground?

If you know other long-term plot holders well, gage their opinions about your new plot neighbor's activities, and their willingness to join in speaking up.

Do you know a "friendly ear" on your allotment Committee? You might want to explain your concerns to that one person first. Offer to meet at the allotment. Try to gage what issues you would get support on, which ones you won't. One thing to consider is whether you can live with some things on the bottom of the list if the issues at the top of the list get addressed.

If you think it would be more appropriate, offer to your Committee  to take your concerns directly to the new plot holder (polite and business-like). It's fine to skip this if you think the new plot holder might react badly (threatening/violent etc.).

If all else fails, take your concerns to the full council. If no action, it might be time to look for a new allotment.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

missmoneypenny

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 17:41 »
Hi guys. I spoke on a previous occasion to the council and they said the plot does not have to be used for food production, they could devote the whole plot to hydrangeas and that would be fine. They’ve added so many structures, gravel, sheds etc  it looks like an over cluttered crazy  golf course. I have started going in very early before I start work and that’s better for me as few people are around. It’s knowing that otherwise they are always there, drill in hand and not knowing where it’s gong to stop. AnneB , the Eastern European datcha tradition is something I get, I also have a small lawn and we have a Russian lady at the plot who uses her space as you describe , I can totally relate but this is something else!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 17:48 »
Cross post subversive plot. Thank you for your very considered post.  I don’t want to be too specific in my replies although my cover is probably blown if they are reading this. Other people at the plot aren’t as bothered as me although they admit that’s because they are not right next to it. What bothers me most is th e relentless addition of structures I guess.  We sadly don’t have an allotment committee, but the unofficial spokesperson has said he’s not bothered. I didn’t want it to become a source of tension between us so I didn’t push it. Sorry if I sound a bit hopeless. I think for now avoidance wherever possible is the way forward ( going at different times) and if I’m still unhappy, ask for a move to a quieter part of the plot but that would mean losing my fruit trees and currant bushes so I’m hoping I won’t have to.  :)

jezza

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2022, 22:51 »
Hello Yorkie for your information there is an allotment act Https//www.Legislation.gov.uk>Geo5 AllotmentAct1922Amend theLaw relating to allotment meaningM3Metrapolitan commons act 1886 ,theres also a Dawes allotment act that relates to the distribution of Native Indians in America    jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 19:21 »
Jezza, you initially mentioned the 1886 Allotment Act. There is no such Act.

I have tracked down your citation re. the 1922 Allotment Act, and its reference to an 1886 Metropolitan Commons Act. In fact it is the 1866 Metropolitan Commons Act (a typo there, not yours).  This related only to land near London and does not contain any provisions relating to allotments, structures, soft fruit cages, etc etc.

The 1922 Allotments Act itself contains no references to allotments structures etc.

The 1908 Smallholdings and Allotments Act similarly contains no references to the text you put in your original post.

The Dawes Act is an American Act, and therefore of no application to the issues raised by the original poster in this thread.

I therefore must caution any reliance on your initial quote which purported to set out regulations that the original poster could rely upon.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 20:36 »
The Dawes Act, while surficially about allotting land, was another thinly-veiled betrayal of Native American people.

I'm not sure why it was brought up??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 20:57 »
I wasn't sure either, but wanted to close down any suggestions that it might be relevant.

xx
New Neighbours

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 12:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Last week of Neighbours on TV

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 14:11
by MrsPea
xx
Has the BBC lost the plot?

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 22:01
by al78
xx
Plot Etiquette

Started by theplotbegins on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 09:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 37 queries.