Sudden loss of our Chicken

• 4 Replies

Pollyb

Sudden loss of our Chicken
« on: April 29, 2011, 21:24 »
Could anyone please help us understand how we lost of our lovely chickens just over 4 hours ago.

We found Matilda laid under the hen house asleep but she wouldn't move when called so we knew she was poorly.  She could barely open her eyes and was just floppy.  We got her into a box and rushed to the vets with her but she passed away on the way there whilst sat on my lap.  She had like a little fit and just went.  The vet carried out a postmortem for us and rang us a while ago to say she had died from a badly twisted gut which he said he had never seen in a chicken before.

We are so very upset at losing Matilda as we bought all 6 chickens at POL in August last year so they are still very young. 

How did this happen?  Could it have been prevented?  Would she have been in any pain?

bantam novice

Re: Sudden loss of our Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 21:31 »
Hello Pollyb and welcome to the forum.
I am so sorry to hear about your hen :(  it must have been very upsetting for you.  I am sorry that your introduction to the forum is for such a sad reason.  We are a friendly lot  with many different levels of experience.   

I'm afraid I can't shed any more light on what may have caused your hen's gut to twist. I'm sure someone more experienced than me will be able to give more detailed advice.  In the meatime, good luck with your other hens
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 21:36 »
sorry for this - it sounds like she has colic which I know horses and giant breed dogs can get. with our giant dogs we have to feed them with their bowl raised and have food available all the time so she doesn't gulp it down, not sure if your hen was guzzling her food down to quickly and therefor trapping air in her gut  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pollyb

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:29 »
Thank you for replying.  I just want to know if she would have been in any pain that's all - I am still so very upset over her.  Matilda was a lovely chicken - very friendly and would sit on my knee quite happily.  I will miss her for a very long time to come.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:18 »
This is such a shame for you. :(

Chickens do have a naughty habit of dying at short notice. Sometimes mine have been poorly for a few days and then gone, but a couple have simply just been found dead for no apparent reason.

This has been bad luck for you.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

xx
Sudden loss

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 19:59
by dizzylizzie
xx
sudden balance loss

Started by mintymoos on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 08:59
by mintymoos
xx
Our first Dead chicken! Sudden, Why?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 14:22
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Sudden death of chicken

Started by Gerard Havercroft on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2021, 21:08
by grinling

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.