Supermarket Veg

• 44 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Supermarket Veg
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42 »
The thing that saddens me is all the people going to the Supermarket today who have NOT read this thread :(

gimli

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52 »
sweetcorn and sprouts and apples pears
gimli

GreenOwl

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 16:14 »
Mmmm, I love strawberries.  Don't grow them myself anymore, but we have a PYO field down the road.  We get what we can afford from there, then go without until the following year.  No one grows strawbs like the British!!!!

I felt I would rather do without than eat supermarket strawberries so I bought one punnet of strawberries last year - from the farmers market - and we had a few from a neighbour (the kids commented on how nice they tasted) and that was all the strawberries we had!

Got some "Irresistable" planted for this coming year :)  Bring it on!

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 16:39 »
I work at Tesco and to be honest they have the worst veg and food in relation to price anywhere.

I never buy any food from Tesco accept possibly milk.
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 17:50 »
I work at Tesco ...
My condolences!  :(

(I have to deal with their higher management for my own work..)

EDIT: Although i did have a weird experience with Tesco cust servic that baffled me. I was trying to order apples online and was completely miffed that they didnt list whether their loose apples were British, or what variety they were... so wrote a miffed email.
And someone, who sounded like he was in their buying department, called me and I had a good half hour long conversation with him about their apple buying practices and what suppliers they use in the UK.
Baffling. I've dealt with a lot of customer service people, and never got an expert before!?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 17:54 by TheSpartacat »

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 17:58 »
everything! I haven't found anything that is better from the supermarket yet (still only in second yr though....)
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 18:30 »
everything! I haven't found anything that is better from the supermarket yet (still only in second yr though....)
I second that - on both counts!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Babstreefern

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 18:41 »
Strawberries - I can tell the difference between European dodo and English succulents blindfolded.  European ones are hard and not sweet, but the English= mmmmm!!!!! :tongue2:

Oh, and everything else as well :D
Babs

bigben

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 18:56 »
Spuds are always the big surprise for me. To pick new spuds and eat them within the hour is lovely. Also peas - you cannot get anything to match peas eaten on the plot just picked!

Dreamer@45

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27 »
We bought a celeriac recently to try as we’d heard how tasty it is cooked or raw. A delicious vegetable indeed but rather pricy in the shop and yet apparently so easy to grow yourself. A very under used vegetable IMO. :)

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 19:39 »
All of it !!

Supermarket veg is tasteless and bland.

And I cannot believe the price they charge for tomatoes these days Why are they so expensive ???????

Local bought veg is so much tastier and Home grown is a different beast altogether.
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 20:13 »
I work at Tesco and to be honest they have the worst veg and food in relation to price anywhere.

I never buy any food from Tesco accept possibly milk.
i work in a tesco warehouse and refuse to shop there their staff treatment is terible and there stock is by far overpriced

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 20:30 »
We can't just blame Tesco though!  Even though I used to work for them may years ago and I agree with you about how they treat people, but all the supermarkets are the same!

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 22:39 »
true i try not to shop at supermarkets but at the end of the day if you can get something half the price then 9 times out of 10 you will take it and not think of the consequences ie who was mistreted/underpayed/pushed out of buisnes all for the sake of a few pence

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 23:22 »
As a child I never ever ate toms as I hated them, it wasn't until I had home grown that I learned to love them and have even made home made Tommy sauce ! As for strawbs, I have a mix of wild and some seeds my sister forgot about in the green house three years ago they moved house with me two years ago and last year I was picking them from march till september.

xx
Supermarket shallots

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 18:48
by gobs
xx
Supermarket Basil

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 21:44
by Armleywhite
xx
Supermarket Leeks

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 16:57
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
Supermarket Garlic

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2022, 15:32
by Snow

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 31 queries.