Help ... Tasteless Swede

• 4 Replies

Chezjoie

Help ... Tasteless Swede
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:09 »
It's been our first year as allotment holders, although we've grown a lot of veg before when we had a bigger garden.  As a 'guid Scots lass', we had to plant lots of swede (neeps!).  Most of them are huge, but so far, they have absolutely no taste!  

We lifted one in August to try ... and other in September ... both were white and bland.  

Am I right in saying we just need to leave them longer to ripen or mature?  I know they are very much a winter crop, so it should be too early, but I didn't expect them to be tasteless ... a bit woody perhaps.

Given the amount of rain we've had, we've got some the size of footballs, and I'd hate to have to compost the lot!  

Has anyone else had the same problem?
Joy McC

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Help ... Tasteless Swede
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:59 »
I've not really had any trouble with mine. I'm gowing Marian this year and so far so good. I've been eating them since the late summer and I was quite impressed with the flavour.  What variety are you growing?

Chezjoie

Tasteless Swedes
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:53 »
The variety is Angela.  The reviews say it has a good flavour, not so far it hasn't!  We've just lifted another one to try over the weekend ... so perhaps only time will tell.  

We bought one last week from our local supermarket (no greengrocers where we live) and it was OK, but not fanstastic.  We'll have to make sure we try a different variety next year.

jsmzxc

Neaps
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 21:23 »
Are they truly neaps? Idf so they need a good frosting. Root veggies often taste better with a good frosting. Especially swedes and parsnips. Something to do with the sugar....
JS

Chezjoie

Tasteless Swede
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 08:56 »
Yes.  I know they are better after frost, which we are eagerly awaiting!  I thought that had an effect on the texture.  My feeling is we had so much rain, they got too big too fast and hence the lack of taste.  On the other hand ... it might just be the variety.  I live in hope!

xx
Tasteless Gooseberry's

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2015, 13:00
by sunshineband
xx
Tasteless carrots.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:41
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Tasteless Kale.

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 10:16
by Livinhope
xx
Tasteless Strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 18:05
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 28 queries.