poorly chuck

• 4 Replies

Radman

poorly chuck
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:29 »
Hello everybody,  I have recently registered and am finally glad to be among the world of poultry keepers! Looks like I'm still getting used to how all this works - so bare with me while I catch up get with the times - never used a forum before! We have had chickens for about 3 years and have loved my girls.  Over the past 9 months though, we have lost three of our four chickens and I am now really concerned about Rose, the last chicken of the original four.  We cannot work out what is wrong, and I am dreadfully concerned that it is something we are either missing or not doing!
Having watched her carefully and now identifying slight symptoms based on observations of the previous three, as we had no clue whatsoever as to any symptoms of the others; her head has dropped slightly and she is quieter than normal.  Her head is also twitching and yesterday I could hear her breathing, and so assume this is laboured.  The others twitched for maybe a few days and then lost all ability to walk and just sat, then died within the same day.
Is there any advice you can give me? Or maybe some indication as what this might be, and how I can help her?

Kindest Regards
Rachel

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: poorly chuck
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 12:15 »
when were they last wormed and with what? When did she last lay an egg? What condition is her comb in - is it bright red or pale and floppy?What breed is she - some hens are only bred to live for about 3 years. Sorry for these questions but we really need more information.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Radman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16 »
Hi there, I'm so grateful for your response, and am more than happy to give you any information you might need to help us understand!  She is in excellent health in every other respect - her comb is a lovely red colour - not floppy - she is laying regularly and is bright as a button - still chatty and friendly, just not quite as much as we're used to!  She has recently been wormed with 'Wormwood' I think its called (part of the label has come away and my husband bought it, but its 100% natural, as we don't feed or treat any of our animals/pets with anything pharmaceutical unless absolutely necessary - and it never has been).  She is a Bantham - but I don't know exactly what breed within that category - if there is one?  We adopted these hens when a friend moved 3 years ago, and I did wonder if it was just that their time was up, as there really have been no symptoms of illness that we have spotted, and I feel sure that we would have, they've become such an integral part of our family!

Thank you so much, look forward to your response,
Rachel

Radman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57 »
I have just looked up breeds of chickens on the Defra website - thanks to a recent post - I believe she is a Pekin Bantam - she is mottled grey and auburn - and extremely friendly! I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the life expectancy question on-line -  Hope this helps

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01 »
Hi Rachel, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should use a chemical wormer (Flubenvet) once per year if you are using only herbal wormers.

Herbal preparations may help prevent a worm infestation, or at least make it less likely, however there isn't any scientific data to confirm that they will treat an existing infestation.

Regarding your chickens, have you noticed any signs of paralysis, such as a drooping wing, or the tendency to list to one side?

Are her droppings normal, have they changed recently.  Have the chickens been able to get into a new part of the garden, or have you brought in any new plants?

Have you been feeding the same brand of food, have you recently opened a new bag?

Sorry for the inquisition, we really do want to help, honest ;)

xx
Poorly chuck

Started by cool chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 12:20
by cool chick
xx
Poorly chuck...I think!!??

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 19:54
by Chuckiemum
xx
Help - Poorly chuck

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 10:12
by slowef
xx
Poorly chuck, please help

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 18:25
by Beakybird

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 34 queries.