Poorly chuck

• 6 Replies

cool chick

Poorly chuck
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:00 »
Please help,i have a poorly girl who has not eaten for 2 days and is sitting with her head down hiding in the coop. Her eyes are bright she is moulting so doesn't look too good, and she has diarrhoea. Also she has deep breathing. She spent the night in my kitchen away from the others.  Do i go straight to the vet???    :cry:  :cry:
Fine n Dandy

Vember

Poorly chuck
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:14 »
If there is a poultry vet in your area CoolC it might be for the best
Hen's hide their illnesses so well :( so it could be that it's too late :(

Really sorry that she is poorly  :cry:

Sarah

cool chick

Poorly chuck
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:43 »
Hiya, thanks for that but it's too late. She has just died in my son's arms, him and his sister are in tears, it was her hen Primrose, bless. She was only off colour a day, could you shed some light on what could have been wrong with her, so i am aware with my two remaining hens who are fit and well. Thanks.   :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Foxy

Poorly chuck
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:19 »
oh I am so sorry cool chick, I know how you feel. It is difficult as has been said before chooks hide their illness so well.
Moulting can cause their immune system to work a little under par and opportunistic infections can take a strong hold. It sounds like this may have happened by your description of "deep breathing" Chooks can suffer from respiratory problems and deep breathing or wheezing, rattling of any kind sounds like a lower respiratory infection. Keep a really close eye on the others, could you add some apple cider vinegar to their water? a cheap and effective boost for them.
At least you were with her and she was comfortable.
Again BIG HUGSx

cool chick

Poorly chuck
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:24 »
Thanks for that, yeh thats what i said to the kids that at least she was in the warm n cosy all night. Not quite sure what to do with her now tho, she is in a bag outside at the mo. I have a clove of garlic in the water as i read somewhere that it also helps fight off infection, is that ok ???   :?

Foxy

Poorly chuck
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32 »
Spot on cool chick I forgot garlic! :D

I know it sounds awful but you can double bag and dispose of in the normal way. The children could pick some nice flowers or put her favourite food in with her perhaps?? :?

I know Aunt Sally has buried her hen (very deep) in a flower bed as in life her chook wasn't allowed there! I thought that was lovely!

The only thing to think about is to ensure that the body cant be dug up again by wildlife (sorry I hope this post is sounding OK)

Again very sorry

cool chick

Poorly chuck
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:20 »
Hi, thanks. Yeh i'm thinking i will have trouble digging any hole with the ground being so hard.  :?

xx
Help! Poorly Chuck

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 21:44
by joyfull
xx
Poorly Chuck

Started by Tykelad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 18:24
by compostqueen
xx
Poorly chuck...I think!!??

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 19:54
by Chuckiemum
xx
Poorly chuck, please help

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 18:25
by Beakybird

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 30 queries.