Poorly chuck...I think!!??

• 5 Replies

Chuckiemum

Poorly chuck...I think!!??
« on: May 09, 2010, 15:17 »
I recently rescued a buff orpie from a friend as it was getting really picked on in a large group...feathers ripped out on head/bottom etc...she was SO low and I really didn't think she'd survive but she has. She has just started to get a comb and the skin around her face is now red, as it was almost white when we got her. She is the calmest friendliest chuck we have and is actually more like a dog really !!! She is separate from the others still as I don't want her stressed again until she is back to full fitness....BUT in the last 2 days we have noticed that her right eye seems to shut on and off ( left one stays opens ) and her head droops slowly as if she is going to sleep, but then she suddenly lifts it up again and her eye opens. This is not what she normally does when she snoozes in the sun so am worried she may be ill. She is eating normally so am abit confused as to what it could be and the best course of action...any ideas please !!!  :blink:

lisa80

Re: Poorly chuck...I think!!??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 20:15 »
If it was me i would take her to the vet .I recently had a 5 week old chick start with the same symptoms both eyes closed and within 48 hrs she had gone :(.I think it was some sort of infection but would be interested to hear what people think .

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 23:38 »
? Maybe she was being picked on because she was weak, ill already, and your girls knew?
Let us know what the vet says.

Chuckiemum

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 14:23 »
An update !  Took her to the vet and she could only find that her right pupil didn't dilate when she shone the light in it so thinks she may be blind or have very limited vision. She said that it probably happen when she was young ( a virus they can get when young?) and could be a neurological problem. She's had antbiotics and a steriod just incase.
The chicken..Buffy...was ok yesterday, tottering around the garden and ate and drank normally. She sat on my knee for a while as I was working on the computer and seemed really pleased with company..human that is !!! We've moved her house into a sheltered area so she isn't getting cold at night so fingers crossed.
I have just been out to see her this a.m though and she seems to be wheezing..ARggghh!!!! She is eating and wandering about happily enough but I'm concerned that she may spread something to the others...what could it be???? :wacko:

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 17:56 »
have a read of the thread on Quarantining ALL NEW birds. If it is a virus, its probably too late to protect yours from catching it, but separate anyway...better late than never? If EVER you rescue any sorry-looking hens, you really need to take even more care than if you were to buy healthy birds.  Keeping choox is a very steep learning curve, and I think we've ALL succumbed to a sad case, and sometimes regretted it. I'm really sorry this had happened, fingers crossed its not contagious, and not too late, and that she makes a rapid recovery.

Chuckiemum

Re: Poorly chuck...I think!!?? UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 19:54 »
Yes, you are right..there is so much to learn !! Luckily I have kept her apart from my others  since she arrived..to save her from them being horrid to her as she was so weak and defenseless AND due to her being from a new place and maybe full of unknown bugs.....so hopefully the others will be ok. She is actually looking quite chipper this afternoon.
I have seen other people mention something called CITRICDAL...grapefruit extract I believe..... that seems to be good for chooks with coughs etc... Anyone have any experience of this?

sad
Poorly Chuck?

Started by Newt on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 18:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help - Poorly chuck

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 10:12
by slowef
xx
help with poorly chuck

Started by lou-spins on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 00:23
by hillfooter
sad
poorly chuck

Started by Radman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 11:01
by Casey76

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 32 queries.