MPC in containers for flowers- how long will it last?

• 4 Replies

Yana

I'm just about to plant up a number of tubs with plants and bulbs for summer colour, but remembered that MPC doesn't feed for very long. I have a few spare tomorite grow bags and wondered if I mixed these together whether that would provide a better medium? I've got BFB as well so should I put some of that in the mix too?
Thanks for any advice  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

fatcat1955

Re: MPC in containers for flowers- how long will it last?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:16 »
Put plenty of crocks or pea shingle in the bottom of the pot's then mix your fertilizer with the compost. If you are planting annuals then do not overdo the fertilizer as annuals flower better in poor soil.

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29 »
I'm just about to plant up a number of tubs with plants and bulbs for summer colour, but remembered that MPC doesn't feed for very long. I have a few spare tomorite grow bags and wondered if I mixed these together whether that would provide a better medium? I've got BFB as well so should I put some of that in the mix too?

I had some tubs last year with annuals in MPC. Fed a couple of times over the season with a liquid feed and they did fine.

Out of interest, what are you growing?  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12 »
The growbag compost won't make much difference. You could add some FBB at planting, or just use a tomato feed after a couple of months to stimulate flowering.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Yana

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 14:38 »

I had some tubs last year with annuals in MPC. Fed a couple of times over the season with a liquid feed and they did fine.

Out of interest, what are you growing?  :lol:
Hi Asherweef. It's marigolds, lillies, irises, multi-headed short sunflowers, nasturtiums and geraniums. I think that's what I've got anyway. Won't remember until I get everything together and realise that I've got too many, as usual.

xx
Bulbs in containers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2022, 23:55
by Yorkie
xx
large plants for containers

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2016, 17:16
by andyf75
xx
Best type of pots/containers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 14:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
large perennials for containers

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2014, 11:24
by Eblana

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 28 queries.