Leeks and loo rolls

• 5 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
Leeks and loo rolls
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:24 »
I am planning to plant some leeks in a large, square, raised planter (no room in the garden). I was reading some of the posts about earthing up but a couple of posts mention using loo rolls to keep the stems white and free of soil. Could anyone explain a bit more about using loo rolls for this purpose please? As you can tell I have never grown leeks before  :)

compostqueen

Leeks and loo rolls
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:53 »
I think they probably meant they sowed the seeds into loo rolls as you get a good long root run and then you can make a hole and drop the whole lot in, plant and loo roll together.

You make a good sized hole for your leeks which gives you the white shank. Some folks if they're showing (or not) like a really deep hole made with a crowbar.  Others prefer their leeks to grow in a length of plastic plumbers pipe (the grey stuff) to give them a white shank. I've seen tin cans used too and it helps keep rabbits off them

I just make a hole with an old walking stick.  You can earth them up with soil or compost as they grow but avoid getting it in the leaves if you're fussy about having pristine leeks  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leeks and loo rolls
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:02 »
Actually I think what was meant was to simply slip the loo roll over the stem of the plant as it starts to grow.

This will keep the light off the bit of stem above the ground & give you a longer white bit. Mind you - a wet summer & they could just end up disintegrating!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Hampshire Hog

Leeks and loo rolls
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:05 »
Milly as I understand it you place the loo roll on the section of leek above soil so it extends the white portion. Am planning to try this myself this year, I think you cut the loo roll along its length and then secure it with a rubber band so it expands as it swells. I am unsure of how thick they  must be to do this. Hopefully someone who has tried it will be along soon.

Cheers HH :)
Keep digging

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Leeks and loo rolls
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06 »
I'd heard about the loo roll thing to keep leeks white but wondered if they would start to rot when they got wet?

Would that cause any problem to the leek stem?

I grew some lovely leeks last year - and had no idea what I was doing with them, more luck than judgment!!. I transplanted them only because they were getting crowded! I didn't know about making the deep hole, dropping them in and filling with water! Some of my leeks would have been far to big for the toilet roll anyway! This year I would like to get a whiter stem though!

Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Milly

• Experienced Member
Leeks and loo rolls
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 12:08 »
Thanks for the answers, and the picture, massive leek. I knew about planting seeds in toilet roll holders but it was using them to keep the leek white and prevent soil soiling that I was interested in. I might experiment, some in rolls and some without, and as someone pointed out they may rot with watering so might try some in drainpipes as well  :)
Guess its all about trying  :D

xx
Loo rolls on leeks

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 09:15
by Sue33
xx
Leeks & Toilet Rolls

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 18:40
by fluffstermum
xx
Loo Rolls

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 16:01
by BabbyAnn
xx
Loo Rolls Modules and Pot!

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 19:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.