Loo Rolls

• 20 Replies

bigben

Re: Loo Rolls
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15 »
I put mine into old 24 module trays.
Stops the soil coming out the bottom and because there is a small gap between each loo role which allows air to circulate the roles do not go moldy.
Plant out as they are, never had the same problem as I had with peat pots not decomposing. 

Good idea - will give this a try!

Chrysalis

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19 »
All my parsnips and leeks have grown in loo rolls.  I've just found my runners sprouting in them too.  A bit earlier than I thought, but the weather has been great here.  One little blighter has pushed through the cardboard and made a bid for freedom in the porch!  Peas and broads did well too.  My OH's mother collects them for me: she might be thinking I donate them to the local primary school for craft work, but I don't! :D

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 14:01 »
I put some red onions and garlic in loo rolls this year but I have heard of one bloke putting parsnips in them and burying the lot when they sprout. :wub: :blush:

I plant parsnips this way with good results. I get to see which seeds have germinated before planting them in the row.

They do need planting out before the tap root reaches the bottom of the insert to reduce risk of forking.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 10:01 »
For things with really long tap roots I like to put 2 loo rolls together (slighty squish the bottom of one and slide it into the top of the other). I have to dig a bit deeper to plant but I don't have to worry about the roots appearing out of the end before I'm ready for them!

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 12:22 »
For things with really long tap roots I like to put 2 loo rolls together (slighty squish the bottom of one and slide it into the top of the other). I have to dig a bit deeper to plant but I don't have to worry about the roots appearing out of the end before I'm ready for them!

You could also use the inside of a kitchen roll if you need an extra long planter, or cut up the carboard that sometimes comes in the middle of wrapping paper

BabbyAnn

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 16:01 »
I use loo rolls mainly for parsnips - I sow 3 seeds in each roll then pull out the weaker 2 after germination.  Last year I was late planting out so had 6 inch length roots hanging from the bottom, and despite digging deeper planting holes and suspending the plant to carefully back fill round the root, nearly all my parsnips grew ball like and resembled swedes about the same depth of the loo roll   :blink:  Absolutely nothing wrong with them, in fact, much easier to clean and prepare than standard shaped ones.

I use newspaper torn into strips and folded to push into the loo roll, using 2 fingers to ensure the paper forms a cup shape before I fill with compost  ;)

xx
Parsnips in loo rolls

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 08:54
by Kristen
xx
Parsnips in bog rolls.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 13:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Leeks and loo rolls

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 12:08
by Milly
xx
Loo Rolls Modules and Pot!

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 19:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.