Mulch for Garlic

• 11 Replies

DAVEAGENT

Mulch for Garlic
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:37 »
I live in N.Ireland I have planted my garlic yesterday 06/10/12. Two Hardneck and Two soft neck varities and also some Elephant garlic, in a large raised bed.  However im looking for advice on when to mulch and what with?

I used wood bark last year which worked really well?  However if I keep using wood bark, will my soil not get really "woody"?

Does anyone have any alternatives?

fatcat1955

Re: Mulch for Garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:19 »
Garlic need's a frost on it to help the cloves form, so a mulch for protection against frost/snow is not required. If you are mulching to improve your soil/supress weed's etc Bark is ok but remember to add some fertilizer in the spring.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 15:26 »
I manure my garlic bed before planting out, which takes care of feeding it. As for bark chips, that's okay to help retain soil moisture and suppress weeds. you'll find in a year or so that the bark is breaking down into lovely soil below and will continue to do so.

You could spread some old manure around your plants now and then mulch whenever you choose.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:31 »
Sorry to hijack thread But i'm planning on planting out my onions this weekend and my garlics in early November. I was planning on mulching them with straw to supress weeds. Should I do it now when planting or should I wait till spring to put on the mulch when the plants are a bit more established. Also how thick a layer of straw mulch should i use?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:37 »
I'd put the mulch on in the spring when the plants have sized up a bit and are easier to mulch around. Also, weeds will soon be up and you can get them covered and smothered. To mulch for winter will most likely encourage pests like slugs to hang around and be cozy.

Mulch thickness can vary from an inch for several inches depending on what you need it to do.  A heavier mulch will retain more soil moisture if you're having drought problems, as well as weeds, while a thinner mulch will usually handle most weeds.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 13:02 »
ok thanks for the advice. Also are wood chips a good alternative to straw for mulch. I read somewhere they rob the soil of nitrogen? even on the surface would that be a problem?

It just i've been reading about aminopyralid (SCARY STUFF!!) and am a bit hesitant to use the straw incase it's contaminated with the stuff! (i got the straw on freecycle from a school and have no idea where they got it from)

I'm going to try and test the straw anyways by soaking some in a bucket and making a tea colored brew. I will then use this brew to water some test pots of broad beans and see how they grow. ( i guess i will have to do this for each bale!)

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 13:07 »
Eightball I have found you can cover garlic and shallots with a good mulch of straw as soon as you plant them they will grow through the mulch, but onions are a differant thing I find it best to wait until the shoots are showing the put the mulch down in between them they will not grow through a mulch,

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 16:35 »
ok thanks for the advice. Also are wood chips a good alternative to straw for mulch. I read somewhere they rob the soil of nitrogen? even on the surface would that be a problem?

You need to feed the bed anyway before you plant so the bark chips will take some of that food to break down, but I find that in actuality, they use very little extra food so it's not really a worry. Fresh wood chips, however, can rob the soil so you'll want to age them first to one side and spread them out in spring if you intend to immediately mulch crops. If it's a bare plot, spread chips/bark now so it's ready for spring planting.

DAVEAGENT

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 14:37 »
I have read that garlic dont like manure?

and what should I feed them with in the spring?

Thanks

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 16:18 »
Can't imagine where you'd read that garlic doesn't like manure because garlic LOVES manure. It's the age old feed for it.

You can feed the garlic either now or in the spring, garlic isn't overly fussy. If you can't access actual manure, then you can use pellets.

timdunn

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 13:49 »
I prepared my garlic bed with fish, blood and bone then planted through landscape fabric. Used the same technique with my onions this year and barely had to weed at all! I make holes through the fabric with a blow torch and just push the sets through these. The fabric can be used for several years and saves a huge amount of work. Have also used this for leeks and courgettes to equal affect.

Tim

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 13:55 »
I make holes through the fabric with a blow torch and just push the sets through these.
Tim

I've successfully used weed suppressant sheets for big stuff like courgettes, sweetcorn, toms but the thought of making lots of tiny holes for sets would be the last thing I'd consider until I read your post - LOL, I can just see me on the plot armed with a blow torch and a bag of onion sets  :lol:  Nice one.

xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh
xx
Mulch

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2020, 13:08
by juvenal
xx
Best Mulch

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2021, 22:39
by muckyboots
xx
what mulch are you using?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:16
by archies plot

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 32 queries.