Leeks getting thinner

• 14 Replies

hubballi

Leeks getting thinner
« on: November 11, 2012, 16:56 »
My leeks that I grew from seed at the beginning of the year have started to go thin and wispy at the base of the stem. I have planted them in firm soil and fed. They just get worse  :(

I Thought they liked being in rich,deep soil.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Leeks getting thinner
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 19:37 »
When did you plant them out into the position they are in now, Hubballi ?

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57 »
About 2 weeks ago. I had to move them due to due to lack of space. Before that they were still very thin and hardly grown. About the thickness of a biro at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:35 by hubballi »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00 »
It's November.

It's got cold and things have stopped growing. They're obviously not establishing any new roots. It's totally the wrong time of year to be transplanting leeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02 »
They propbably didn't appreciate being moved at this time of year. I would have thought that the cold/wet soil wouldn't have heped them to grow new roots, to replace the broken ones  :dry:

it's a snap  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:12 »
I agree with the others that transplanting them at this time of year was a bad idea but you can't expect much if any further growth once the cold and dark sets in anyway.

If you sowed them at the beginning of the year your problems started a lot longer than 2 weeks ago if they are still biro-sized - when were they first transplanted out into the garden?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35 »
I can't exactly remember, later summer I think.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01 »
Leeks need as long as possible and also the best that summer has to offer  ::) in their final growing position to achieve their full potential. Late June is late enough where I am - they usually follow new potatoes although I had to find a new patch for them this year because the spuds were very late.

I had trouble in the first year getting them beyond biro-sized before planting out (in fact they stuck at biro refill-size for weeks on end) but since then I've found they appreciate occasional liquid feeding which helps considerably.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 11:10 »
Here is some very simple information about leeks for you, Hubballi.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/schoolgardening/uploads/documents/leeks-wl_477.pdf

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 13:25 »
Thanks Sally. Will bear it in mind for next season. I don't know if this is a problem for many here but in the winter months I hardly get any sunlight in the garden due to it being walled and the sun quite low. It's a Victorian semi terraced.

starry

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 13:39 »
Hi hubballi I don't think any one get much sun this time of year !! I certainly don't and my garden is south facing, maybe you could paint some of the wall white to increase the light levels??   
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 13:47 »
but in the winter months I hardly get any sunlight in the garden due to it being walled and the sun quite low. It's a Victorian semi terraced.

We know that (we arranged a visit to your garden if you remember).  All of your growing problems are due to a damp shady environment.  Heaven for slugs and moulds an hell for veg plants :(

hubballi

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 16:12 »
Yes Sally but not everyone here saw my garden did they. In the summer half of the garden is very hot. Raised beds will have to be for the future here.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 14:41 »
Having had biro-sized leek seedlings when they needed to be planted out, I have done this the last two years: pricked out at the three-leaf stage into bigger pots at nine per 5-7" pot in multi-purpose compost and are then gardually hardened off, depending on the weather. Then I keep them in these pots but bump feed with dilute Maxicrop. They definitely put on weight and are ready for planting out in June. There are always a few that don't get to the right thickness, but I may try bigger pots next year for max results.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 16:36 »
I had leeks self seed in my old leek patch, they are about 6" high and about to overwinter - fingers crossed that they survive the winter and get going in spring.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Leeks

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 23, 2016, 17:59
by AnneB
xx
How were your leeks?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 20:48
by Paul Plots
xx
Leeks

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:06
by mumofstig
xx
old leeks

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 13:34
by DD.

Page created in 1.019 seconds with 30 queries.