Brussells Sprouts blowing off already. Paaarp!

• 9 Replies

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Brussells Sprouts blowing off already. Paaarp!
« on: November 12, 2012, 17:22 »
My sprouts have gone all strange.  They've sort of exploded but I think it's called 'blown'  :(

I've done a bit of googling and I've read it's to do with my soil not being compact enough. Well I thought it was compact, but obviously not enough. After not having much of a harvest with anything I promised my family homegrown sprouts for Christmas dinner...looks like I'll have to lie now  ;)

Could this have been to do with how wet and soggy my soil has become? Even though I've tried to build it up and stake the few plants I have left.  This bed is at the bottom of the hill so all the rain runs into it. Ah well, live and learn eh?

My first full year of having my plot and I tell you what, it's been a tough one. But I'm trying to remain upbeat and going to put it all into practice and build upon my failures as a firm foundation for the future. Thou shalt not chuck 'towel in yet!!  :D
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: Brussells Sprouts blowing off already. Paaarp!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 22:00 »
I too am trying to learn how to grow sprouts.  This is my 4th year, and my sprouts have blown again but not as bad as previously.   Cascade F1 and Darkmar.     

I really thumped down the soil so it was like concrete.  I also put windbreak netting around them.

I have read that F1 varieties are better at resisting blowing, so it's all F1s for me next year.

Looks like we will both be having sprout leaf pate for Christmas Dinner :D
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

allot2learn

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 22:20 »
Mine have gone as well. I had a cracking crop last year as well. Must be more careful next year.
As a bonus, I have just introduced my wife to sprout top spring cabbage............... and she likes it. Result!  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 23:03 »

Looks like we will both be having sprout leaf pate for Dinner :D
I've got a recipe for sprout salad where you just bung 'em in the food processor, if you wanted it? :)
Anne

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:41 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 16:20 »
My sprouts are on a 'low simmer' in readiness for the Big Day, as per instructions from Mr Terry Wogan. Should be soft enough by the 25th of next month  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 22:09 »
I'm feeling quite pleased with my sprouts at the moment. Last year they were a disaster cos I planted them out too late, but this year they're looking pretty good, and not too far away from picking size. Almost makes up for the cauli disaster.

allotmenteer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 00:24 »
Fi sprouts are better to grow. I have grown Cascade they are good, and are shorter plants so tend not to get rocked about as much.

A heavy clay soil is better for sprouts or a baron area and not too rich of a soil.

I compact the soil first, use a wooden dibber eactly the same size as the pot I grew them in and knock the sprout plant out and plant it straight in to that hole. This enables the sprout to feel its feet are firm in the ground which sprouts need and then I back heel around also.

Another way is to dig a six inch wide trench about 3 or 4 inches deep to remove the better top soil. Then compact this trench by walking firmly over it, plant the sprouts in the trench, still leaving the good soil out. About this time of the year the soil can be put back in and firmed around the plants to add extra support.

Just an idea for people to use if it suits them to do so I am not trying to tell anyone what to do you understand.

Clairebeau I am sorry your first year has not been the success you would of wanted and deserve but in all honestly it has been one of the worst years for gardening More experienced gardeners have not had such as good a year neither plenty of failures and non starters for them too. Please keep your chin up as there is always next year.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 00:28 by allotmenteer »

allot2learn

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22 »
sprout top spring cabbage

Huh?  :lol:

It fooled her. She thought it was delicious and had much more flavour than "normal" spring cabb....................... until I pointed out that it wasn't spring yet.  :tongue2:

Nonetheless, it got the seal of approval.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:29 »
sprout top spring cabbage

Huh?  :lol:

It fooled her. She thought it was delicious and had much more flavour than "normal" spring cabb....................... until I pointed out that it wasn't spring yet.  :tongue2:

Nonetheless, it got the seal of approval.  :)

Nor was it cabbage!

clip
Brussells sprouts diseases

Started by liam affley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 17:48
by JoshP
xx
brussells sprouts, broccoli going to seed; want to get crop

Started by happyhortic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:28
by gobs
xx
Trouble in Brussells

Started by anchorman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2022, 11:37
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Cauliflowers blowing?

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 08:10
by Kristen

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 33 queries.