growing seeds in paper pots

• 23 Replies

rowlandwells

growing seeds in paper pots
« on: November 14, 2009, 15:37 »
 Hi all
 can anyone give me some advise on the following .growing seeds in paper pots!!
has anyone been growing by  this method i want to try growing parsnips swede carrots  
in the greenhouse in paper pots i am module growing at present with brassica leaks and
beetroot with very good results transferring  cabbage Brussels winter broccoli grown on in black mulch film  so far so good but paper pot growing is a new venture for me i would like to
start the seeds off in the greenhouse and  then transfer them into the rows when the
plats have established themselves sounds good but!!
dare i risk it next season  
                                        Roly

Goosegirl

Re: growing seeds in paper pots
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 16:08 »
Have a look at Richy's paper pot thread in this section. I have tried it but didn't have a lot of success but others swear by it. I use modules for all sorts and can get the cube out fairly well with a "lifter" jobbie as long as they are neither too wet or dry. I've even done swede, beetroot, carrots and parsnips by this method with no root development problems. See what the others say.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 16:38 »
Here's the link for paper pots and coments from people who have used them :)

link

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:13 »
Have a look at Richy's paper pot thread in this section. I have tried it but didn't have a lot of success but others swear by it. I use modules for all sorts and can get the cube out fairly well with a "lifter" jobbie as long as they are neither too wet or dry. I've even done swede, beetroot, carrots and parsnips by this method with no root development problems. See what the others say.

Please can you enlighten me about the 'lifter jobbie' Goosegirl?  I sometimes have trouble getting plants out of modules without disturbing their roots and any nifty little gadget to do the trick would be great.  I also want to try growing veg and flowers in plugs (little modules?) next year.    I imagine you could get these out using a pencil but I have a feeling I have seen a sort of base you push the tray down on to lift all the plugs at once?  Or did I imagine it  :unsure:

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 13:02 »
I LOVE the paper pot method.  its been a real success this year.  cheap, good use of space and less thining out once in the ground. :)..the only tip that i would give is when transplanting root crops, you open up or break off the bottom bit of the paper pot, otherwise you can end up with 'curly' veg ::). ( i did have some very strange shaped carrots before i realised). ;)

Ropster

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 14:09 »
RPP's are fantastic as you can make them a size to suite the crop, this year I started the following in them all with good sucess

tomatoes
chillis
broadbeans
parsnips
garlick
leeks (worked but the ones in trays were better)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 14:56 »
Well I get on with them  very well  ;)
Just treat them like individual modules, they do best when kept together in groups, they can dry out a little but by keeping them in a group they seem to dry out less quickly, i suppose that they draw water off each other via capillary action/osmosis.
Trick is not to start anything off too early, brassicas can go wonderfully leggy in just a day or two if they are too warm.

Have fun

Thanks for the link mumofstig  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Brambles

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 15:25 »
I use the paper pots thanks to Richy's instructions...  The only thing I would say is that you have to keep an eye on them during warm weather as they do dry out quickly, however... beware of overwatering  :nowink:   I too, gently tear off the bottom of the paper pots before transplanting, although the roots can push through the paper sides, there is quite a bunch of paper to struggle through if you leave the bottoms on when transplanting...  Great idea and SO CHEAP :D

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 16:14 »
Please can you enlighten me about the 'lifter jobbie' Goosegirl?

If it's anything like ours it's a tray with blunt "spikes" on it that fit into the holes in the bottom of the plug trays and pushes all the plugs out for you .... cost an arm and a leg and we never use it as it's much easier to just poke them up with your finger :tongue2:

I can take a photo of it, assuming I can find where we hid it, if you like?

¥

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 16:50 »
Hi Barbarella - I use a stainless steel seedling lifter-outer - don't know its proper name but it is not a dibber as it is hollow and like a long, drawn-out spoon with one end wider than the other. A friend of mine bought me an indoor plant tool set and it had a mini trowel and mini bulb planter which are also useful to get your plants out of modules in one go. It depends on the size of the module as to which I use.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 22:46 »
Thanks Goosegirl - I will look out for it at Cadbury - a huge garden centre near us which sells every gardening gadget known to man and a few more besides.  Most of them are just designed to part you from your money and end up at the back of the shed but every so often you can find a real treasure and the seedling lifter sounds like that. 

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:15 »
I love Richs paper pots as much as the kids enjoy making them.

I have had great success with them. As Rich said keep them together (as they can topple over). I stand mine in an old seed tray and they work fine.

Thanks for the tip again Rich. :)
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 16:13 »

hello
 thank you all for all your replies re:paper pots  i am busy in the greenhouse making paper pots with my wood-burner stove and radio getting ready for 2010  the seeds are ordered and
i did venture down the allotments the other day its very wet so i am glad i ploughed
it up before the wet weather kicked in still plenty to do in the workshop
by the way has anybody grown salsify and oriental vegetables like pak choi as i seem to fail growing these? i start them off in the greenhouse in modules with all good intentions but i am tempted to try Chinese Kale and pak choi again where am i going wrong !!

there's plenty of gardening topics to talk about before we get cracking in spring and i am  a good listener   thanks again Roly

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 17:13 »

....................... by the way has anybody grown salsify and oriental vegetables like pak choi as i seem to fail growing these? i start them off in the greenhouse in modules with all good intentions but i am tempted to try Chinese Kale and pak choi again where am i going wrong !!

Try setting them off later in the year. I always have problems with them bolting and stuff when early sown. Yet the second lot, sown in summer, always do better.... Oddly enough.  :unsure:

Brambles

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 19:31 »
Just a quick added note to the paper pots... OH just loves ice cream (Walls Cornish 2Ltr)....  I stand my paper pots in the empty tubs, easy to keep upright, easy to water, easy to keep an eye on. And when all finished they stack beautifully and keep out the way...

xx
growing carrots in paper pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 07:27
by rowlandwells
xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Paper Pots

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 14:37
by Trillium
xx
Paper Pots

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 20:40
by Parsnip

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.