pea harvest

• 9 Replies

colleensj

• learning......
pea harvest
« on: July 10, 2010, 08:34 »
ok...
could I please ask for some advise on this thread?

My kids brought home 2 pea plants a while ago from school....I planted them in a planter and at last we have peas!! I picked them the other day because they looked ready (btw I am sooooo new to this veg growing thing) but we only got 7 pods from 2 plants....is this normal?
They were planted up in the same planter with all the stuff the kids brought home like some wild flowers and sunflowers......could this be why we didn't get many or is 3/4 pods per plant about right?

Any help much appreciated
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:50 by DD. »
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

colleensj

• learning......
Re: pea harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 08:39 »
ok I guess not on there then  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:43 »
 :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:47 »
It does sound a little low, but they may not have had a lot of nutrients / fertiliser in the compost from school, and have had competition from the other plants, which may have had an impact.

How tall are the plants?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:48 »
Pea yield - when I've do it for the Hertitage Seed Library and monitored it, the return was between 40-60 peas per plant, depending on variety. This is about -7 pods per plant.

Next year try some on their own, they may have been a bit crowded, or not watered as they would have liked.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:51 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:02 »
We have watered them really well...looked after them really nicely. They didn't get that tall tbh about 15"  :(
I've no idea what sort they are cos they came from school  ???
We planted them up in normal compost from the garden centre but I did hesitate about mixing them with the other things....

Will definately give it another go next year properly....the kids really enjoyed picking and polishing them off in 5 seconds flat! ::)

chrisjsmith

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 22:24 »
That's about what I got from our peas (Feltham first).  Basically a 4 foot by 2 foot plot got me a small cereal bowl of peas :(
Not sure all that rain helped at the start of the year.

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:54 »
I've never had much of a return from peas, even when I've grown and planted them using 'textbook' methods.  :(  Other people on the forum have said that you don't get a very high return for the space used though.  I don't know if the old 6' peas (Alderman seems to be the only one widely available now) were any better for yield.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 13:00 »
They crop for a longer period, so maybe yield more peas..........but the downside is they are in the ground for a longer period. I prefer to get them harvested and out and plant something else in their place.
I plant mid march and harvest in june and have planted autumn cabbage there ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 14:07 »
It may be a combination of the weather, variety, and over-crowding as you thought. Having said that, as you have picked the pods, there may be more to come. They do take up a lot of space but - boy - are they good compared to frozen ones!  :lol: Have you thought of trying Sugar Snap peas? They probably take up the same amount of space but you can harvest and eat the pods and any that are left can be shelled as peas. They are good in salads as well as a cooked veg.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
How much did you harvest?

Started by Curly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 17:23
by Yorkie
xx
first harvest

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 21:27
by Yorkie
xx
My first harvest.

Started by mabel on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 13:49
by mabel

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 34 queries.