aubergines

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

aubergines
« on: February 29, 2008, 14:16 »
i planted some aubergines a few weeks ago and nothing hurriedly planted them and didn't check the pack (bought here i might add ) and they are a couple of years out of date , is there no chance they will come up , i have had a poke in the pot and the seed is there quietly doing nothing while i wait patiently, or not .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

compostqueen

aubergines
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 15:33 »
well I sowed fresh seed and nowt, nada, zilch  :(   So just sowed some more and keeping fingers crossed  :D

mashauk

aubergines
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 15:47 »
I put one seed in the propagator last night, so fingers crossed. For some bizarre reason though I managed to germinate stuff too early which has all died,. but at the moment nothing seems to be germinating, don't know what's going on but am going to give up on the propagator if nothing comes up soon!

compostqueen

aubergines
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 17:59 »
it could be the low light levels. Seeds are programmed to germinate so are probably waiting til the conditions are right for them to put in an appearance  :D   This sowing isn't an exact science so you either learn patience or buy stuff as plants  :D  Some good aub plants from Simpsons Seeds   :)

mashauk

aubergines
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 18:17 »
Well I'll just leave everything in there, I've got about 6 different things now, and just see what happens, it is quite dark like you say at the moment in my kitchen but there's nowhere else to put it, I'm just too impatient :lol:

Martin

• Experienced Member
aubergines
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 18:29 »
From my aubergine seed packet:
Requires warm soil (ideally 32C/90F) for 2-3 weeks to germinate. Lower temps (min 25C/80F) may work but will take a LONG time. They take longer to germinate and require higher temperatures than peppers & tomatoes!

Got any space in the airing cupboard?
Martin

mashauk

aubergines
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 19:01 »
I wish I had an airing cupboard.
And a pantry/larder
And a big garden
And some proper windowsills
And an upstairs lav

:lol:

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
aubergines
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 19:42 »
aubergine seed should be ok for 3/4 years maybe even five, if stored well.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

mashauk

aubergines
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 19:46 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
it could be the low light levels. Seeds are programmed to germinate so are probably waiting til the conditions are right for them to put in an appearance  :D   This sowing isn't an exact science so you either learn patience or buy stuff as plants  :D  Some good aub plants from Simpsons Seeds   :)

I could, or I could buy 6 for £1.50 from blokey at lottie!

charley1980

aubergines
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 13:25 »
I've grown my aub seeds under a propagator in my very warm light conseervatory and they still took 4 weeks to put in an appearance.they are now about an inch tall.i'm keeping my fingers crossed. got 8 plants on go and will be pleased if I get 2 good big healthy plants out of those!

chrissie B

aubergines
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 14:35 »
mine have been in for about 3 weeks i only did 6 but now Ive tipped the whole pack in a tray , i think i will hedge my bets and get a better pack and if they don't come up i will get the plants from the garden centre , you can see what will happen I'm going to be knee deep in plants .
i would love a walk in pantry with shelves filled with jams , pickles and so on , but just have to make do with under the stairs , hubby put in an extra shelf for me .
Chrissie b

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
aubergines
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 15:08 »
Got my aubergine and sweet pepper seeds from Real Seeds. Planted them last week and they are through and about an inch and half tall now. :)  They are supposed to be for colder climates and so far they are living up to the information given by Real Seeds. :D
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

mashauk

aubergines
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 16:35 »
Quote from: "chrissie B"
mine have been in for about 3 weeks i only did 6 but now Ive tipped the whole pack in a tray , i think i will hedge my bets and get a better pack and if they don't come up i will get the plants from the garden centre , you can see what will happen I'm going to be knee deep in plants .
i would love a walk in pantry with shelves filled with jams , pickles and so on , but just have to make do with under the stairs , hubby put in an extra shelf for me .
Chrissie b

My cupboard under the stairs is full with decorating stuff, tools, the hoover and random cxxp!

Top Cat

aubergines
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 16:35 »
Hey I got mine from real seeds too and planted a few weeks ago and have 3 tiny plants . I only did 4 just in case i was too early and will do a few more in a week or so  All the peppers and toms I had from there are coming up a treat too except "lipstick" and Sunny brook but will try again tomorrow

compostqueen

aubergines
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 19:06 »
I've got a huge, long pantry and a new box of preserving jars at the ready :D  Fancy Jamie's aub and chilli chutney  :D

xx
Aubergines

Started by sueanthony on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 13:51
by sueanthony
xx
Aubergines

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Aubergines - odd or not?

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 13:45
by PennyS
xx
Aubergines

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 11:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 31 queries.