Aubergines

• 12 Replies

Casey76

Aubergines
« on: September 27, 2009, 17:11 »
My aubergine plants which were starting to look the worse for wear have started to put out new shoots!

Could I prune the plant back and will it survive the winter -  or are they an "annual"?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 17:19 »
They are perenniel, so you can overwinter, if you're lucky :)
I am trying it for the first time this year....seems you have to prune them back a bit& pot them up if they are in the soil, and keep them warm, but not too hot. You want them to rest i suppose and not carry on growing like mad.
Then feed and water and a bit more warmth in the spring.....IF they survive :D
Good luck...I think we need it :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 17:22 »
I have to keep them warm???  They might have to come into the house then, judging by last winter!

agapanthus

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 22:44 »
Perennials??? B*gg*er :( I've still got about 20 fruits on mine......so they're gonna be around all winter in the tunnel??? :(

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 23:01 »
I've picked the last fruits off mine as they had stopped growing and a couple were going yellow. I don't think the fruits will develop outside over winter but the plants might survive if you can keep them frost free. Of course you can just resow next year if you want. I'm going to save one plant and see how it does inside over winter.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 16:33 »
Anyone got any suggestions/opinions on why, for the second year running, my aubergine plants simply didn't fruit?
Veg? That's chips, innit?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 16:47 »
What variety did you grow Smudgeboy? Just curious as I grew Listada di gandia last year...nothing. Tried Moneymaker this year and.......success YAY :) I did wonder if it was because the weather was better though 8) rather than the variety being more reliable in our climate :unsure:
Can the bees get to yours to pollinate them and are they in a greenhouse, or outside?

Questions questions...sorry :unsure:

gillie

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 18:12 »
I promised someone I would find out the variety of aubergine that I bought as small plants and which are still cropping in the greenhouse:

They are Calliope an F1 hybrid from T & M.

Cheers,

Gillie

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 19:03 »
I promised someone I would find out the variety of aubergine that I bought as small plants and which are still cropping in the greenhouse:

They are Calliope an F1 hybrid from T & M.

Cheers,

Gillie

Are those the stripy ones? I'd recommend them too.

gillie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 19:14 »
"Are those the stripy ones? I'd recommend them too."

Yes.

Gillie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 19:33 »
Just a quick tip about saving yourself work when quoting - if you click the Quote button at the top right hand corner of the post you want to quote, it replicates the contents of the whole post.

You can then edit out what you don't want to quote, but make sure that you don't delete the [ /quote] at the end, and also make sure that your own comments come after the same brackets  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 20:23 »
What variety did you grow Smudgeboy? Just curious as I grew Listada di gandia last year...nothing. Tried Moneymaker this year and.......success YAY :) I did wonder if it was because the weather was better though 8) rather than the variety being more reliable in our climate :unsure:
Can the bees get to yours to pollinate them and are they in a greenhouse, or outside?

Questions questions...sorry :unsure:

All questions are good!

To be honest, I can't remember what variety but it was the second half of the packet I started last year, so maybe they were a bum pack.

I had three planted in the greenhouse and three planted in containers outside - they all got to about 8" high and looked healthy enough, but there was never any sign of flowers or fruit.

Oh well, I've got the empty packet in the greenhouse somewhere (I don't throw them away in case of situations like this) I'll just try a different variety next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 20:27 »
You do have to start them off really early tho,......much earlier than tomatoes so they have enough time to grow big enough for flowers.
Good luck for next year then :D

xx
Aubergines

Started by Gardener Girl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 08:14
by Kristen
xx
aubergines

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 16:11
by chrissie B
xx
Aubergines

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 18:21
by oldcow
xx
Aubergines

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post May 20, 2017, 09:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 38 queries.