my chickens got attacked

• 3 Replies

chickadizzle

my chickens got attacked
« on: November 03, 2010, 20:03 »
please help not sure what to do my girls got attacked by our pet ferret early this morning it was still quite dark and we were not sure what was going on i have never heard a noise like that before one of them (betty)  has died (thankfully it was clearly quickly) but she was the one who i was closest too and 'my baby' one of the other girls (ginger) who doesnt normally like being cuddled literally wouldnt take no for an answer and followed me round having a long cuddle, her heart was getting so slow i was scared she was dead too they all seem quite shaken up which they would do but any tips on calming the others down and getting them happy again??

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: my chickens got attacked
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 20:13 »
It's sad that the lessons we learn are often the hard way - firstly - keep any other pets or animals away from them and your girls should be kept in a secure place. Ferrets can get in small gaps/holes - so keep it well away from them in future! You might want to check their coop and run for security and ensure that it is up to scratch. Also maybe check how your ferret was able to get out of his home and into the hen's as well.

The only thing you can do is treat them to some peace and quiet in a secure environment and keep a watchful eye on them over the next few days.

I am sure you are beating yourself up about this, take it on the chin, learn the lesson and give them lots of cuddles.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 20:16 by alancane »
Alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 20:15 »
Have you made sure that the hens have no injuries on them.  Even tiny punctures in the skin can contain a deadly infection.

Were the hens in their house or their run when your ferret escaped and attacked them ?  The area may still smell of ferret to them.

chickadizzle

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 20:24 »
ummm my bf managed to brake the door of the ferrets home he thought it would be ok and normally it would this particular ferret is . . . . brutal he has kept them for so long he made sure it was safe before this incident but clearly miss judged bryans strength theyare very far apart it is amazing how far he got their run is secure as in no foxes can get in but i never really saw the ferrets as a threat before :( i will be modifying the run as we made it ourselves and yeah ferrets can go WHEREVER THE WANT i didnt think of the ferret smell in the run and coop tho i did wash away the blood they were out side at the time tho they have eaten which i think is a good sign?? thank you for you advise guys x
x

xx
Chickens attacked

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 15:57
by Flowerpower136
xx
Chickens attacked

Started by henrys.hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:55
by henrys.hens
xx
URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens

Started by Carla on The Hen House

58 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 19:37
by Carla
xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 28 queries.