:-( Post mortems and cremations

• 2 Replies

threeranger

:-( Post mortems and cremations
« on: November 03, 2010, 17:18 »
Hello,

You may remember our Light Sussex being a bit under the weather: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63272.0

She had been up and down, but died this morning....so we never did get another egg.

Our other 3 chickens are fine and have never shown any sign of the problems she had, so they don't appear to be contagious.

Over the last 3 months  she had just become subdued but with enough occasional promising moments to make us think she was on the mend. She never seemed seriously ill, just stopped laying after only 6 eggs. She had lice at one point but frontline swiftly fixed those. There were no colds, sneezes, respiratory problems, and her appetite was always fine even yesterday. No blooming poos (but a few grim ones).  We tried worming, frontline, bathing, patience for moulting etc, but in the end she quickly went downhill in the space of about 12 hours.

As she hadn't come across as seriously ill we hadn't gone to a vets (hindsight eh - we were on the verge of doing so having worked through the usual self service treatments). This leaves us not knowing what was wrong and wondering about a post mortem, just so we know....

Is a post mortem something that an amateur can attempt and discover anything, or just leave it to a pro instead ? I'm ok with guts so that part is fine....i'm also ok with saying it's just one of those things if my untrained eye is unlikely to gleem anything from the experience !

Also, what is the general consensus - bury or garden incinerator ? I'm thinking cremate so that any possible infections and stuff are burnt away and not festering underground.

Thanks for your support and help :-)

Threeranger

daisy1990

Re: :-( Post mortems and cremations
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 18:32 »
the basic premise of a post mortem is that you have to recognise normal anatomy to recognise abnormal.  Unless therefore you have a sound working knowledge of a hen's anatomy, you are most unlikely to spot a cause of death.  I would think burning the carcass would be the safest bet (burial I think is risky as other animals may dig the body up)

Hope this helps and sorry to hear about your loss
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

threeranger

Re: :-( Post mortems and cremations
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 20:16 »
I'd be confident on finding the crop, but not a lot else, so perhaps just have to let this one go as a mystery....

xx
Hello 1st Post

Started by Carolann on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 12:20
by ANHBUC
xx
1st Post

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 19:51
by TonyW
xx
Help please- another Delia post

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 21:56
by Nicki85
xx
p.s. to my post on types of hen

Started by audi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 16:44
by audi

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 36 queries.