Chickens attacked

• 2 Replies

Mrs Mant

Chickens attacked
« on: November 21, 2010, 22:07 »
Is it possible that a fox could take a chicken without leaving any blood/mess behind?
I let my chickens free run and arrived home last Thursday when it was dark.  I went to shut the coop up and only 1 chicken was perched (I had 3).  I looked around the garden with a flash light and found 1 chicken cowering in the hedge quite close to the back door.  The other mising chicken was no where to be found.  There were quite a few feathers in the field next to the house, but they are all moulting at the moment and it's difficult to tell which one they had come from.  My only other thought (because of the lack of carnage) was a bird of prey had had a lucky hit.  Any ideas?

hillfooter

Re: Chickens attacked
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 22:18 »
Almost certainly a fox.  Absence of blood or even many feathers isn't telling evidence against a fox.  An experienced fox can take a chicken with scarcely leaving a feather.  Younger less experienced foxes tend to leave a mess and they usually take them to their cubs before plucking them.  In the open they often just take a single bird it's only when they get into a run and the chx are easy to kill do they kill indiscriminately.
HF

HF
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 22:21 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Flowerpower136

Re: Chickens attacked
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 15:57 »
Does sound like a fox.  So sorry Mrs Mant. :(

Had a bird of prey swoop at our run whilst I was sitting in a few months ago.  Think it was after one of the baby squirrels who were sunbathing on the roof at the time.

Chooks reaction was amazing :ohmy:!  I was sat surrounded with contented rosey chooks, then within a split second, I was sat there completely on my own!  The thing had swooped and was off into the distance by the time I saw it, but they saw it coming and dived for cover under the coop.

sad
my chickens got attacked

Started by chickadizzle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 20:24
by chickadizzle
xx
Chickens attacked

Started by henrys.hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:55
by henrys.hens
xx
URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens

Started by Carla on The Hen House

58 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 19:37
by Carla
xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 36 queries.