how much compost and top soil and how to mix?

• 10 Replies

mark evans

how much compost and top soil and how to mix?
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:59 »
HELLO  all im new to this growing stuff lol i have made a raised bed which is 2m x 1m and 12" deep which is placed on concrete slabs, now time to fill with soil and compost but dont know how much i need nor how much topsoil to compost to use and do you mix the compost with the soil or do you have 2 layers ? please can you help as i want to start growing my veg  :( thanks MARK

prakash_mib

Re: how much compost and top soil and how to mix?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04 »
mark
I would first put an inch or two of BeeQ 10mm gravel at the bottom. and then top it up with good topsoil for the first year (up to half the height) and then gradually start adding organic matter further up the year.
thats what I have done for my patio raised bed. and had a fairly good success. :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mark evans

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:07 »
so just adding a 50% mix of topsoil and compost is not advised then ?

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:28 »
that would be a moot point. but adding gravel at the bottom makes the soil saturate rather than the water running down. and keeps the water for some time in the soil. adding more compost will drain the water quickly and you might need to top it up with water and feed quite regularly.

mark evans

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:55 »
sorry dont quit understand like i said im new to all this lol so put gravel in first couple of inch for drainage,then can i just fill the rest with compost and soil mix? is 50/50 mix ok? can i fill it now and start planting veg? and the big question how much in litre would i need? sorry to be a pain lol just dont want to make a mess of this

Gandan57

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:03 »
Are you having to buy both components or do you have spare topsoil already? Ideally they would be better mixed and depending on the type of topsoil the more compost the freer draining it would be.

Not sure about having the bed on concrete slabs though, as this will affect the drainage. When it`s wet the concrete will hinder the rain draining away and in a prolonged dry spell the bed will dry out quicker, I stand to be corrected though.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:11 »
Is it possible to remove some or all of the slabs so you have soil underneath your raised bed? (it would make it much easier to manage from the watering point of view and deeper-rooted crops may benefit from the extra depth, although that would depend on what the soil is like underneath.)

The volume of your bed will be (200 X 100 X 30)/1000 = 600 litres (about the equivalent of 10 large bags of compost.)

If the topsoil is of good quality I wouldn't use more than about 25% compost as it dries out more quickly than soil and the more of it you use the more the bed will "sink" over the summer. 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mark evans

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:23 »
i have 140L of top soil and was going to buy the compost in the morning as for removing the slabs this is not possible as i live in a rented house hence the raised bed lol is that enougth topsoil to mix with compost ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:47 »
What's the price difference Mark?

I'd still aim for a minimum of 50% soil; as I said previously the more compost you have in the mix the more it will sink down, and you'll have to buy more compost then to top it up!

mark evans

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56 »
thanks i will pop out and get more topsoil

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 23:33 »
I've tried several different types of top soil in my raised beds including bulk bags. I ended up with the Homebase one which is on offer at the moment and works out a similar price to bulk.
Some topsoils were real rubbish....stony yellow clay (definitely sub-soil) or nearly pure sand.
The Homebase one is a good mix of sand, loam and clay. Nice and friable but plenty of body.
You won't need more than 25% compost with it.

xx
top soil or compost?

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 12:59
by Celtic Eagle
xx
What soil/compost should I use for these veg please?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 09:25
by Kagganz
question
Compost/Soil Ratios

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 10:57
by Jay Dubya
xx
adding compost to the soil

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2010, 22:12
by JayG

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 33 queries.