Brand new, havent a clue ☹️

• 2 Replies

Emmareid2020

Brand new, havent a clue ☹️
« on: April 27, 2020, 17:03 »
Hello all, firstly sorry if posting in the wrong place on here 😬
So, had our allotment for a couple of months now and were lucky to receive it in what I believed to be a great condition (will try and post a pic) we scraped the debris back and my husband dug a patch and chucked some potatoes in 😖 I had read to plan it etc but he jumped in! Anyway, problem is, we didn’t visit for a couple of weeks and went today and it’s full of weeds!! I have read and read so many different things and so many conflicting advice that I feel I just can’t get my head around what to do. I left the allotment today feeling upset and I want it to be fun rather than stressful. I literally want someone to say “step 1 = do this step 2 = do that”
Brand new to it all! So don’t understand the gardening jargon! As you can probably tell 😆
We have started growing spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, spring onion, strawberries at home in little pots 😄
CC122660-CF7F-43E1-A6C8-56EC3E8A1ED1.png

snowdrops

Re: Brand new, havent a clue ☹️
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 20:30 »
Buy a swoe & use that lots  :D. Congratulations on your plot & welcome to the site  :). The first year it will be very weedy, consider covering some of it with weed membrane to cut down on the work & uncover as you need it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Brand new, havent a clue ☹️
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 22:16 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new allotment.   :D

I've moved your post across to the GYO board so the people who grow stuff are more likely to see it  :)

When you say it's full of weeds, is this over the area where the seed tubers were planted?  If so, is it grass-type weeds or something else? (I find it a little hard to tell from your photo).

You might find this article on the main website helpful on clearing a plot.

What I tend to say to newcomers on my site is that you need to have a plan to keep on top of the weeds, or they will get on top of you.  It looks as though someone has applied weedkiller to your plot to get you started?  If so, that will really help you in that it will be a while before you need to take steps. 

At that point, either continue to use weedkiller, or cover up new growth with weed suppressant fabric, thick layers of cardboard or other coverings.

I wouldn't worry too much about where you plant stuff this year; you can do a proper layout of beds and so on for next season, when you've a better idea about where the sun is, drainage, and so on.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Havent got garlic in yet!

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2015, 17:49
by madcat
xx
Tomatoes for Next year I know I know I havent harvested this years yet...

Started by codheadred on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 16:15
by Snoop
xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
question
Brand new allotment

Started by BatterBits on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 22:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 32 queries.